Gulf of Mexico Fishing

mhwilson

Registered Member
City
Murfreesboro
Anyone know where I can find good charts for fishing the reefs and oil rigs south of Mobile/Gulf Shores AL ? I've got the FishMapper software, but it's not real handy for planning with good visuals and bottom contours...

I like and use Mapsource from Garmin, it is the companion to the BlueCharts chip you can use in their GPS. The nice thing is you can sit at home plan your route and then up load it into your GPS unit. It shows all rigs wrecks and most reefs. In addition, I use one of the "local" fishing hot spot maps to add additional waypoints. If you were over in Galveston, I could give ya a couple tips :).

Cheers
Piledriver

Top Spot Mobile Area Fishing map#N222.

What will you want to fish for? Rigs are easy to see and just run from one to the other unless there is one 50 nm out that interests you. Look for weed lines, etc The hurricaines have moved, covered or destroyed some reefs close in so some are hit or miss but there are thousands to try so you will not run out!

Keep an eye on the weather usually from noon on, Kingfish are easy, just troll something behind the boat with a cigar minnow attached, bull reds at Dixie bar...use a knocker rig with a large jig head with 2-3 shrimp skewered then anchor or drift. You can pick up spanish with small flashy anythings, spoons etc.

Snapper will mostly be in deep water soon along with most grouper, 40+nm out, min. 100ft. Find a zone of reefs, troll between and to each then if you mark fish, drop a line or two to see it anything is biting.

Enjoy, Molar

Back