Hallelujah, the OB checked out OK! Now, batteries…

richardbfin

Participating Member
State
UT
The OB shop said my engine is in great shape, needed a new oil tank sensor and throttle control cables. For an as-is purchase the Heavens have smiled on me.

A question about batteries. I’m watching a lot of YouTube videos and seeing guys with a cranking battery in slot 1 and a deep cycle in slot two. Use 1 to start and then switch to 2 for all the electronics loads (along with the engine handing back 40 amp/hours if I read the manual right ). I would have thought I would just put 2 deep cycle batteries in, start with both, and the use 1 or 2 as close as possible to 50/50 (even day is 2, odd day is 1, etc) That’s what I’ve done on my sailboats in the past. Thoughts?

That's what I have, RIchard. Two Odyssey deep cycle AGMs. However, my Suzuki has a dual charging system for charging both all the time. So one is the house battery and the other is the start battery. The battery switch will combine them if needed for starting (have never needed to use that feature). Works very well.

Last edited:
I have always had very good luck with AC Delco Marine/RV deep cycle batteries in group size 24 or 27 depending on your motor size. the regular lead acid version not the newer AGM version. They always have lasted 5-6 years for me. No experience with the AGM version.

I have always had very good luck with AC Delco Marine/RV deep cycle batteries in group size 24 or 27 depending on your motor size. the regular lead acid version not the newer AGM version. They always have lasted 5-6 years for me. No experience with the AGM version.
Thanks for that, will check that out too. I only boat 6 months out of the year, and flooded batteries have been very economical on my previous boat... as you suggest.

Back