Has anyone run antenna wire inside grab rail?

KennyD

Registered Member
City
Boothbay Harbor
I'm installing an antenna on the top of the grab rail over the windshield on my 215cc. I don't have a T-top. I hoped to run the wire (RG58 A/U) inside the front center rail down into the console. Before I drill holes in the stainless, I wondered if anyone has done this with or without problems? Thanks.

I did it on my 195cc. I ran it through the front rail that runs up in front of the center of the windshield. There is a hole in the mounting face of the rail that the wire for the Nav light that is mounted to the top of the grab rail, your boat may or may not have the Nav light in this location. My only problem was it was a tight fit with the Nav light wire and eventualy it cut the insulation on the light wire and it shorted out. I enlarged the hole and am back in business. You can see where the wire comes out in this photo.P1010880.jpg

New word to learn......"grommet"

I know the word. I have one at the top where it exits. There was absolutely no room for one where it enters the tube next to the mounting screw for this rail. I knew it was a risk,and I knew right where to look when the circuit breaker tripped.

Back