Hello from a new owner.

Duke

Registered Member
City
Grand Island
I took the plunge and purchased a very lightly used 2003 170DC. I love the boat!!! I am looking forward to long and fun relationship with it. Any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duke

Duke,
Welcome aboard! Here's the best tip I can give you: Use the boat as often as possible. The boats like it and the Captain and crew get more experienced with each trip. Enjoy!

Tight lines.

Welcome, Duke. Best wishes with the boat. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! This is a great place to gain some insight into Triumphs.

BobW

Welcome, Duke. We took the same plunge about 16 months ago, purchaing a 2003 170DC with about 30 hours on it. After racking up another 170 or so, we love the boat. Hard to beat the ruggedness of the Triumph - esecially for a new boat owner like myself. As for tips- get as much time as possible on the water, read this site regularly, and ask a lot of questions. It sure has helped me.

Ron

Hi Duke, welcome aboard. Good luck with your new boat, and like the other guys have said keep checking this site for alot of good info and ideas.

Welcome, Duke. We took the same plunge about 16 months ago, purchaing a 2003 170DC with about 30 hours on it. After racking up another 170 or so, we love the boat. Hard to beat the ruggedness of the Triumph - esecially for a new boat owner like myself. As for tips- get as much time as possible on the water, read this site regularly, and ask a lot of questions. It sure has helped me.

Ron
Ron, I think I purchased your boats twin!!! It has less than 40 hours on it, spent most of its time sitting in a driveway. Former owners wife is scared of the water!!!

Duke

Welcome Duke : I have the 2001 170dc. I fish mostly the flats in Fl. No doubt you will enjoy it and like JimW and the guys said don't hesitate to search the sites for good info...JEB

Welcome aboard Duke and congratulations on the 170DC! ;)

Due, Sure sounds like we've bought twins. After reviewing the various posts on this site, and reflecting on my own needs, I have added a few things to my 170:

1. Added an on-board charger (got tired of hooking up an external one, or removing the baterries in the winter)

2. Added a cut-off switch for the auto feature on the bilge pump. An alternative is to add a battery cut-off switch. In either case, the pupose is to avoid the auto bilge from running the battery down after a couple of weeks of sitting. A cheaper, although more time-consuming method is to disconnect the main battery if the boat is going to sit for more than a couple of days. This assumes, of course that the boat is out of the water!

3. Added a Bob's Machine Shop hydrofoil (Stabilizer Plate #BT at www.bobsmachineshop.com ). This addition is the only one that got a "That's worth the money" from my lovely wife. It allows me to get on plane faster, stay on plane at lower speeds, and significantly reduces the boats tendency to "wander" at lower speeds.

4.Added 4 Scotty's flush mount rod holders (2 front and 2 rear). Chuck (CAGrove) has some great pictures and I believe some pointers,in the 170 mods section.

Hope this gives you some idea of what pointers are avalable on this site, and some ways to make your boating experience more enjoyable.

Ron

Thanks Ron!!!

The former owner already installed a battery cut off switch (He had the dead battery issue).

What onboard battery charger do you recommend?

And the Hydrofoil was just purchased!!! THANKS!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Duke

It seems this site is selling a lot of Bob's Stabilizer plates (hydrofoils)!!

BobW(not THAT Bob)

I installed a Mnn-Kota 20 amp charger (2 x 10 amps), connected to both my main and trolling motor batteries. I went with the dual charger to avoid having to remove the batteries in the winter, and to insure both are "topped off" before a trip. I installed mine in the compartment with the trolling motor battery, bolted to the side between the consoles. My next project is to install a plug on the outside of the console, to avoid having to loosen the seat back and open the cover. I've already had to repair one of the snaps on the seat back - don't think they were meant to be used as frequently as I've been doing.

The Minn-kota is a bit pricey compared to others available from Bass Pro or Cabela's, but I got it pretty cheap by buying a floor sample from Sportsman's Warehouse. I believe there are some recommendations here, so I'd do a search.

Also, I saw on another thread that you were interested in a swim platform. Last time I checked, Merritt Marine had some available for our year and model.

Ron

On Board Battery charger

My recommendation would be the "Stealth DC" charger. This is their website. They make alot of sense. Stealth 1 Charging ChargTech Industries I have the Minn Kota 2 bank 20A and it works fine for now. It is only for my 24v trolling setup and is totally isolated from the starting battery. I bought it from a friend of mine so I got it cheap. Last week I thought I would have to replace it because one of the fuse holder wires was loose and the fuse in the other side had come apart but didn't appear blown. The unit wouldn't even power up due to this set of odd circumstances. When I removed it to replace it I found and remedied the problems and am back in business. Meanwhile I researched and found the Stealth units which are much lighter and keep your trolling batteries up using your big motor alternator after the starting battery reaches 13v. Interesting info on why deep cycle batteries don't seem to last as long.

Back