Hey, I'm a n00b! What class should I take?

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I'm a new Triumph 215 owner, new to me, it's a 2006 boat. I've managed to take it out once without getting too screwed up but it was a super calm day.

I know nothing about being on the ocean. The coast guard offers classes, which one do I take if I'm going out of Santa Cruz Harbor in California?

I've figured out how to launch the boat and dock/trailer the boat. While I'm sure I could use more tips about that stuff, I wouldn't like a class just about that.

I'm looking for a class that teaches you how to be safe out on the ocean. If it taught you about a following sea, yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Good Morning!
Wise Man ;) and since you do not have the Sea Time to look into securing your Captain's license just yet. I would advise checking with your local USCG Aux in Santa Cruz (or nearby) and starting with a Boating Safety course. This is a good place to start and will also save you on your Boat Insurance once completed :)

You can search for the nearest location by zip code on this link here http://cgaux.org/boatinged/

And I would ask them which course would best fit your needs, pending your present experience level :cool:

And remember... "Red, Right, Return"

Hope this helps?
Dave

I took a boating safety class thru the NC Wildlife Organization. Not sure if that is offered in your state or not. I would call the Coast Guard office to inquire which class they recommend. After taking the class you might also consider hiring a fishing guide in your area to take you out with the understanding that you have a boat but wanted some guidance and tips on safely entering and exiting the harbor. The ocean is obviously a whole different animal. Putershark (Dave) and others on here will have more helpful info I'm sure. :)

Back