Hummingbird 365i fishfinder GPS combo

sanjose

Registered Member
City
Milpitas
Hi,

I am looking to install a fishfinder on my 170 cc. I saw that people have liked Garmin 140. I saw BarryB's pics of the Garmin 140 on his boat.
I have a 10 year old Lowrance GPSmap 100 handheld that I have been using but it does not have a way of attaching to the console. So I was also looking at Hummingbird 365i fishfinder GPS combo that is a dual beam soanr and has a built in GPS with unimaps for only $300.
Anybody have any experience with it, or a similar Hummingbird unit?

Thanks!
Bob

Too bad about the Lowrance. You may want to do an internet search for mounts.

I mounted my handheld GPS to the front of the console and it works great.

I have not used the Hummingbird, but I've seen some that have great depth sounders. The display on some models look like side scan sonar.

Good luck.

I have the Hummingbird 587 combo unit and I’m very pleased with it. I looked long and hard at the Hummingbird 300 series combo units, but chose to pay the little bit extra for the larger screen. I did the installation myself. Hummingbird had clear and easy to follow instructions. Before installing the Hummingbird, I had a Garmin 160c and a handheld Lowrance H2O. I can’t say anything bad about these two units. They put me on fish and brought me home many times. The Garmin fail victim to gravity and concrete. I wanted the replacement to be a combo unit.

Thanks BarryB and Newton843!

BarryB, how do you like the garmin 140? Also, had seen you put a vhf radio under the console....where did you get the mount from?

I can probably scare up a bracket for your GlobalMap 100.

I'm liking the new humminbirds, but the networking capability of the lowrances still puts them in my preferred category. I would suggest looking at some of their smaller units with side scan.

Edit: The Mount for the Lowrance Handheld is RAM-B-138-LO1. Here it is from gpscity.com for $28.95: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-globalmap-globalnav-airmap-screw-down-plate-mount.html

RAM, could not think of that brand PA.

The 140 is fine for simple fish finding, however, I did have to cut a hole big enough to pull the connector through.

The mount came with the VHF. Since the center console is not flat on the underside, I put some sticky two sided tape (thick stuff) in the middle of the mount to flatten it out a bit.

I perfer two seperate units (GPS and Fish Finder) because if one breaks, the other would still work; but, combo units do have some features such as saving space and the depth sounder working with the GPS.

All personal preference.

Hope this helps.

p.s. if I had to do it again, I would have NOT mounted the Radio/CD player under the CC because I had to cut a large hole to fit it in so It would not stick out. I would go with an internal mounted amp (in the CC) and use the IPOD for all the tunes.

Thanks Frank! I tried unsuccessfully to search for that mount earlier. Thanks, that helps!

Thanks BarryB! Where did you have to cut a hole for the Garmin connector? in the cupholder? But that would have to be done for any fishfinder, right?
Would you recommend the 140? Saw the pic you had posted earlier. Is there enough room to move it either wayon the console...swivel, tilt, etc?

I have the same issue on the transom on the starboard side...uneven. Did you still route the cable through the hole for the steering cable? Do you have a topside picture of how you routed it?

Another thing I noticed in your post is that you snake the transducer from fwd to aft. Could we also route the connector from aft to fwd through the plastic tube? the tube might not be big enough for the transducer but should be beig enough for the connector..unless the connector is too big itself.

Thanks!

I know you didn't ask me, but I have the garmin mounted right on the top of the CC, cut a small hole for the xducer connector and ran it through a Blue Sea Cable Clam (Love those things, easy installation btw).

I would run the transducer cable along a stringer under the fuel tank/deck. The connector is a bit tight in the factory provided tube.

When I get home, I'll shoot some pictures of the installation. Photos work better than words.

I used an electricians fish tape to pull a couple of weed wacker lines from the center console to the aft motor well cover. This was not easy because the first time, the lines got tangled with the other cables already pulled through. Also, it helps if you have a helper with skinny arms (kids are useful).

Thanks Frank, BarryB,

I just ordered the 14. Should get it tomorrow and will install it. If the connector does not go through the tube, I would have to run to homedepot to get a fish tape. The tube is an inch though.

I like the location on top of the cup holder, if there is enough clearance to swivel it. Otherwise will do what you did Frank.

Did you just use the screws, clamps, etc that come with the fishfinder? I am guessing no need for predrilling as the material is soft enough.

Thanks!

Don't drill anything yet. Let me write the narrative and post the photos. It will save time.

The connector will not fit in the 1 inch pipe, I tried.

I took 1/4" starboard, and with a 4" circle cutter, cut out a cookie. I drilled a hole in the middle of the cookie and used a loooooong screw to attach through the drain hole of the cup holder. I put 3M double sided gray tape around the cookie and mounted it on the cup holder. The tape seals out water and the screw and nut (with a washer and all stainless steel) hold everything in place. Don't forget to mount the bracket onto the cookie before mounting the cookie on the boat; It's easier that way.

I'll post photos tomorrow, too tired now.

Pilot holes, Pilot holes, Pilot Holes!!! LLDPE will expand and contract as temperature changes, and if you force a fastener into a hole that is too small you risk cracking the material. Also, the PE on the top of the console is fairly thin, so through-bolt with a suitable washer or backing plate instead of using machine screws.

I'm partial to my cupholders, but that's just me :D.

Garmin 140 Installation

Okay, already gave you the basic story. Here are the photos:
Garmin 140 front.jpg
Front of Garmin mounted on a Starboard cookie.

Garmin 140 top.jpg
As seen from top, the connector is 1" in diameter so for the cutout, I used a grommet.

Underside of cup holder.jpg
Underside of cup holder. I forgot, I used a special zip tie that you find with a transmission cooler to hold the cookie to the bottom of the cupholder. Basically I clamped the two together, however a long screw and nut will work. I then put the drain tube back on.

Through hole in motor well.jpg
Did not want to drill a 1" hole through the transom so I used this to make the hole watertight in the motor well. Kind of big and blocky though.

Transducer top view.jpg
View of transducer mounted on port side.

Transducer front view.jpg
Closer view.

Transducer side view.jpg
Side view.

The reason I did not mount the fish finder on top of the center console is because I like to sit sometimes and there is not much view when anything is mounted on top. If you look at the center console for the 2009 model year, I think the layout is much better. If I could (and had the money :() I would swap out my center console for the newer one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics BarryB! It was great help. Just got done. Put the unit on top of the cupholder with a thin plastic plate that I found at homedepot. Will replace with a thicker plate later. Could not find starboard. Used a through bolt to fix it. Cut a hole in this plate (and the bottom of the cupholder) for the connector so did not have to cut a hole in the console.
Fitted the transducer on the starboard side itself so did not have a cut a hole for the connector.
Pulled the connector with a fish tape...was pretty easy.

Thanks again for the help!

Back