Time for a new unit

BarrNone

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Newark
It seems that my Raymarine C80 has bit the dust. Looking for a new unit, although I don't think the next one will have radar, so I'm looking at chart plotter/fishfinder units. Think I've narrowed it down to 3 of them- Garmin EchoMAP 73DV HD Fishfinder and Chartplotter - Lowrance Elite-7 CHIRP Gold Fishfinder and Chartplotter - Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar GPS Combo. Like the 7" screen on these, just not sure which would be the best for my conditions. We travel out about 20 miles offshore. Thanks

I just recently purchased the small Dragonfly DVS with dual chirp and down vision. I did not get the combo(pro-series) with gps and wifi.

The sonar is amazing. The transducer is huge, about 9 inches long. Compare the transducer size to the Garmin in the bottom photo.

The GPS on these units have not gotten good reviews. The sonar has been well received.

For a combo, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Garmin or the Lowrance. Just depends on which chips/maps you already have or want to buy.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• dragonfly and 441s.jpg
    dragonfly and 441s.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 75
  • dragonfly 4.jpg
    dragonfly 4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 74
  • huge tranducer for Dragonfly.jpg
    huge tranducer for Dragonfly.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 71
How is that in bright sunlight?

JG, how do you like the garmin? I have the same unit and it drives me crazy. It may be the area that I am in but I get a lot of gray screens (usually when I need navigation the most, storms, etc.) and it doesn't show my drops many times too. I want to throw it in the water sometimes but if it is just my reception area, then any brand will be doing the same thing.

Sorry BarrNone. I don't have any recommendations but do a follow up post after you have had your new one a while and let us know what you think! The three you mention are also one my "radar". ;)

JG, how do you like the garmin? I have the same unit and it drives me crazy. It may be the area that I am in but I get a lot of gray screens (usually when I need navigation the most, storms, etc.) and it doesn't show my drops many times too. I want to throw it in the water sometimes but if it is just my reception area, then any brand will be doing the same thing.

I really like the Garmin. The GPS has been flawless. I've had it for about a year.

I lost bottom sometimes so that was my excuse to buy the Dragonfly and have a backup Depthfinder/dedicated fishfinder.

About the Garmin:

Make sure you have the most recent software. I believe it is version 4.60.

When I purchased my unit, it had outdated software.
I had trouble downloading 4.60 to a microSD card and Garmin was great and just sent me a free card that updated the unit and updated all my maps.

They also walked me through some settings I never knew existed.
It was when I first bought the unit. I wasn't having problems. I just wanted the most recent maps and software.

I vaguely remember checking "WAAS" settings and checking "Skyview Accuracy".

They were really good on the phone while I was at my boat going through the settings and I have had perfect GPS performance since day one.

I would call them when you have a half an hour or so and let them walk you through the settings and make sure you have the most recent software.

Like I said I do lose bottom at speed or in chop sometimes but I have never moved the transducer from the initial install.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Now I'm throwing in the Lowrance Elite 9 CHIRP fishfinder and chartplotter. Just to muddy the water a little more.

I have a Lowrance HDS-7 and have no complaints. We have been able to adjust the brightness so that it is fine on sunny days.

I'm digging the Garmin 93.....thinking of going from 2 units to one big one. Problem is, my Garmin Network is working fine with 2x 3206's....can't justify, yet.

i just put a garmin 74 sv on my boat so far so good. i got to learn how to use it...i have been runing a 498 garmin for 8 years with no problems, it was just to small.. barrnone the 73dv is set up for rivers and lakes .i looked at them didnt have offshore maps

barrnone the 74vd has the preloaded blue chart costal maps. if your going off shores

the same with you molarboater the 93 dont come with preloaded blue chart got to go to 94

one more thing i think garmin still have $100 rebates on all these units

Went with the Lowrance Elite 9 Chirp. Laid hands on them all at the local Cabelas and the Lowrance seemed to be the most user friendly. Supposed to be here on Wednesday and looking to install on Thursday. If you know anyone looking for a radome and DSM 30, I'm selling mine.

Will the 9" long transducer be partially blocked by engine's lower unit?

The transducer is actually smaller than the one for the Raymarine. It's approximately 4 in long by 2 in wide by 1 in deep.

Ok, I got it installed on the boat. Took a ride to check it out, vivid display, easy to read. Can't figure out how to get the GPS to follow the boat or how to start a track so I can follow my way out of the marina. The only way I can see where I am or was is to zoom out. Not sure how to figure this one out.

Back