Just fishin' for opinions

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 546s plotter/sonar combo. I like the plotter, but am so-so with the sonar. I'm going to supplement the sonar with a Lowrance DSI unit, which, using different frequencies and mounted on the opposite side of the transom, should, in conjunction with the Garmin, add another dimension to interpreting what lies below. What I'm trying to decide is between two Lowrance units. I can get the Mark 5-DSI or the Elite 4-DSI for the same price. The Elite 4 has a smaller screen of course, but is color. The Mark 5 has a slightly larger screen in grayscale. Also, the Mark 5 sonar is a higher wattage. I'm leaning toward the slightly larger screen and higher wattage, unless someone can convince me that the color presentation has any specific advantage over the grayscale. Both have the same sonar capability, so as far as I know size and color are the only differences.

:D Okay.....guess that was kinda like askin' your driinkin' buddies who you should marry. Nobody wants to touch that one with a ten foot pole. Well, I ordered the Mark 5x DSI sounder, so I'm committed now. 'Til depth do us part.....:rolleyes:

One thing to remember is that all the units are sold with a cheap transducer. You can purchase a better transducer for the Garmin for a little over $300 and it should make a world of difference. I'm seriously considering doing it for mine as I run both a 541s and a 441s on my boat.

Back