In the Market, advice welcome...

Aquaholic

Registered Member
I am trying to decide between the 170 CC and 170 DC. I am looking for anyone's opinion. The forward seats on the DC don't look very comfortable considering that there is no backrest. I'll be fishing about 50% of the time.

Also, anyone with the 150 CC... I am wondering if it is big enough for a family of four (two small boys 4-1/2 and 2-1/2 yrs old), or should I spend the extra $$ and go with the 170?

Thanks

p.s. I am new to this site, just registered :)

170 cc

Aqua,
I have the 17 CC and a family of 5. It's just what I wanted and it's comfortable for short rides with the family. If you plan on staying on the boat for the entire day........you may want to look at the DC. It's still the same amount of space but to me nothing beats the CC for fishability and handling.
Good Luck!
Frank

I have a 170 CC. My first requirement was fishing so there was little debate. I have had 4 adults in my boat just cruising around, and it fishes OK with 3 adults. Your kids are small enough that you can put them on the seat in front of the console together when moving or 1 at the helm with you and one with your spouse in front. That would keep them well inside the boat.

An addendum to my previous comments. Go with the 17'. Like closets, salaries and highways, you are always 10% short.

the 17cc is what sold me on the triumph line of boats. I ended up buying the 210cc right out of the catalog. I wanted to be able to fish 6 adults, and I have, the boat hanled it well.
Kids grow,,,fishing equipment acumulates,,and I believe you can not have to much room.

I am a single guy and just picked up a 150cc as a starter boat to get on the water in the cheapest and most maintenance free way. So far, so good. Also, I only plan to take out maybe 1-2 people with me and have already found that to be enough weight for that little boat. It is noticeably harder to get on plane with 3 adults on board (I have the 40 hp motor, though, and I am still in break in period). I would definitely go higher, to the 170cc, for a family. I think you will need the additional space and power, especially as the kids grow and you don't want to be buying boats like new shoes all the time.

Also, I have sat in, on land, the 170cc and 170dc, and found the dc to be cramped. I am 5 feet 11 inches. Also, I am partial to the walkaround space of center consoles, and so would recommend the cc, especially for fishing.

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It's unanimous... go with the 170 CC (or larger!). This site is great, I really appreciate all the feedback. Now the next dilemma: do I wait for the '06... ;)

I would consider a 190 Bay for a family. We took ours out today to break the engine in. We are most likely going to post on land pictures tomorrow and Monday or Tuesday pictures in the water. It is a great boat and it handles great. The water was pretty choppy with 4 foot swells. We went around 2,800-3,200 RPM's for around an hour and then around 3,800-4,200 RPM's for around 15 min. We returned to the harbor and cruised the harbor, and then left. We had 2 adults (450 lbs.) and 2 others(150 lbs.), 5/8 Tank of gas and just standard equipment. (Lifejackets, fenders, line, etc.) We couldn't go WOT but got around 35 on a speed run.

We have logged only about 30hrs on our brand new 170cc great boat plenty of room 75 Etec Evinrude is plenty of power (this boat wants to run and fast up on plane)We have put 6 adults in for a evening cruise and dinner on Plum Island, room was only a problem when I saw how much crap we were supposed to take
for a light dinner on the Beach.I will never see top speed with 6 or 2 or 3 guys fishing. I still think the etec 60 hp would be perfect for this boat .80lbs lighter on the stern for we shallowater guys .We added a bimini top ,diving platform,
fishfinder,compas and side rails and cushions.This boat is comfortable and fun. Were Pleased . I'll post some pics soon ,good luck .

Engine options for 190 FS

I had in mind to get a 190 FS with a Yamaha 150 HP 4 stroke (I guess they don't make a 175 4 stroke), and a 15 HP Yamaha kicker (4 stroke naturally). The dealer thought that wouldn't be too heavy for the boat - but I wonder if anyone out there has a similarly configured 190 FS. The combined engine weight is 565 lb which is the rated limit for the boat as far as I can tell.

That said, many owners on this site have posted remarks about submerged scuppers and water ingress with heavier engine configurations.

Also, an issue (raised by the dealer) was the fact that the 4 strokes have bigger powerheads - and that could be a concern regards elevating the engine without compressing fuel lines etc.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Does the dealer have that boat already rigged? If so, it should be real easy to drop it in the water full of fuel - take your wife and best friend and have the dealer hop on board as well. That would be a good test.

Ulcerdoc,

For scupper concerns, please read "Fix for transom scuppers" in the 210 Center Console Forum. They may not work on the boat you are looking at, but you can post that question in the "Tech Talk" forum for Dick at Merritt Marine.

They certainly solved my problem.

Back