New Member 170 Sportsman, Canada EH.

field8585

Registered Member
City
La Loche
I purchased my 170 last year through the company I work for. It is a 170 Sportsman Plain Jane I call it. After seeing what is available mine is quite plain. I only have two storage buckets at the rear of the boat and 4 seats. No built in fuel cell or railings or any of the other fancy items I see on the DC or CC (that is why I had to install two sump pumps last year). I mounted a ETEC 60hp tiller and enjoy the boat immensely. The boat is a big hit in my community as it is a one of a kind. It battles the lake very well and out performs the Lunds in the ever present swells.

Biggest problem I have is that I can not use the drivers seat because of the very long Evinrude tiller, I sit on the storage box; unless of course if I want to go straight or turn right only. Another issue that I will be addressing is the poor planing with more than 2 people in the boat. Although, I have hyd tilt on the motor it just hates to plane (motor is installed height wise as per discussions from this site). Maybe the addition of trim tabs will help (I will be looking for advice on that). All in all, I believe I made the right decision and look forward to experienced help in my build.

PS. If anyone knows of someone with parts ie. consoles etc let me know. I live in Northern Canada so shipping etc may be an issue. Thanks All.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congratulations on the 170! :cool:

I also have a 170 sportsman with a 60hp tilller etec. I love it as well. And yes, the Etec tiller handle is very long compared to others. I added a seat base about 9" in front of the stock seat base. I do a lot of trolling and it is now comfortable.
Did your boat come with the livewell? I absolutely LOVE my 170SP. My only complaint is the livewell size. It needs to be much longer. I was out in 2 to 3 foot waves this past weekend and the boat handled it fine. Nearly every weekend I go fishing I get at least one compliment on the boat. I hope Triumph will market more to the freshwater angler. I think if they bought back the 15' model as a tiller it would be a hit too....

Great to hear from you shell. I just, yesterday, measured out where I am moving my present seat base and will be routering it out this weekend. Had to wait for a router bit I ordered for plastics. And yep it is approx 9" in front of the other one. I got used to sitting on a non pedestal seat that I placed on the storage box on that side, but it was a bit low for long rides and all day trolling. No livewell in mine it is a real plain jane. With the size of the fish (not to brag) I catch I would need a big livewell. See photos. You will also note I have not internal gas tank either. I want to "bling" it up a bit by adding and extension to the front deck for more storage. I also ordered a set of trim tabs that I know will be very helpful. Do you have issues get 'er to plane? I frequently had to battle some nasty waves on the lake upwards of 3-4 feet and I was very impressed. I put in dual sump pumps as well as we get more rain than imaginable and one pump wasn't cutting it. You can see the outlet tube by the "T" on the side of the boat. I put in a Berkley rod storage for 4 rods along the stbd side and two velcro straps on the prt for paddles. Still got work to do to make it better.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2012-08-01_21-08-17_266.jpg2012-08-01_21-08-28_485.jpg2012-08-01_21-08-47_49.jpg

Storage box is 32" long, 11" wide and 12.75" high. It fits real nice and just the right size to store several tackle boxes and it's white so it blends right in.

You can also see in the pics the new seat base I added.

Absolutely no problem getting it on plane. I'm surprised you have no gas tank. I'm sure you could get one from the factory and install it yourself. 21 gallons... and more room in the boat.

Unfortunately Sears Canada doesn't carry the box. I like the looks of it and will search around to see what is available "up" here. Thanks for the pics, that is why I was asking about the height, it looks perfect where you have it. What is the item you have on the rear well, some type of cup holder? Our company was asked to provide 20 of these to a mining company in the far north, with minimal accessories and no tanks. We shipped up 17 then the company that purchased them went bankrupt so we had to wait 12 months to take ownership. I best not tell you what I paid for the boat and brand new motor.....great deal for sure.

Back