ipilot vs xi5 trolling motor

Glen Everett

Registered Member
State
GA
New to this site. Have a 2015 195cc with a mercury 150. Want to invest in a good trolling motor that will link to Lowrance or Hummingbird. My question(s) is which is better, motorguide or minkota, What shaft length, what thrust for bay conditions (Cape San Blas), etc......At this time I am looking at motorguide saltwater xi5 54" shaft, 80# thrust bow to link to Lowrance gen 3. Any suggestions? Especially shaft length.

Mine is 2006 195CC with Minn Kota Riptide ST i-pilot link 80#/60". Have used it for two seasons outside Monterey Bay, CA. Love it. I won't choose anything shorter/smaller if using it in open sea. I am going to upgrade it to Riptide Ulterra 112#/72". I hate to manually stow/deploy it if changing spots frequently.

Mine is 2006 195CC with Minn Kota Riptide ST i-pilot link 80#/60". Have used it for two seasons outside Monterey Bay, CA. Love it. I won't choose anything shorter/smaller if using it in open sea. I am going to upgrade it to Riptide Ulterra 112#/72". I hate to manually stow/deploy it if changing spots frequently.
I am having custom stainless plate made at a local steel fabricator for pulpit mount that will not interfere with anchor line. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Not cheap, but majority of cost is the material. My boat lives on Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta, but taking it it to Cape San Blas in late September. Can't Wait! The i5 will allow me to virtual anchor. I am California (San Diego) transplant by the way. Most of my immediate family are still there. Love the geography, but not crazy about the people.

Back