Just curious

special K

Participating Member
City
Beverly Hills
I was wondering what most people do when you catch a fish. Do you release it, keep it, if so how many, keep it until you get a bigger one, or do you keep everything including under and over sized:eek:. Please be honest. I usually don't keep anything, do not like fish(I'm a steak guy, med. rare) the wife once and a while will ask me to bring one home for her. Besides I hate cleaning fish. Just wondering?:)

If I knew how to fish, I would release too. Like you, I don't like to eat fish. Maybe at McDonalds once in a while or mostly, tuna out of the can which I share with Fred, my ferret. Fred loves tuna. He'll be at the MacFest.

I have a fishing rod with a Shimano reel and a bunch of tackel stuff in a box. But I don't know what works. I've done some "practice fishing" over the years.

So, I just photograph or video the fishies in the ocean. Sometimes I get to interact with them too. That's always fun!
I'll be photographing at the MacFest when Andy and I are diving.

Hey Astro, thanks for replying, I'll eat tuna as well but my daughters two cats(sassy, and boots) enjoy most of my spoils at sea. Make sure you take a lot of pics, I will not be able to make it. I will be up there the weekend after(Sanford, NC) my in-laws.A little side note: If anyone in that area would like too meet up and do some fishing , I've never fished the east coast:D I would love to meet up with a fellow Triumph owner if logistically possible.:D

Trout, release everything, hate to eat trout. Stripers, release everything, too precious to keep. Dorado, since they only live five years I'll keep one for the dinner table if the fridge is empty. Everything else, bye bye.

As for myself, I like to set size limits and release any that is under that size. My size's are much larger than regulations. Example sea bass regulation is 12 inches...I wont keep any under 15 inches.

bass fishing release most, every once in awhile keep some.
My striper fishing has been strictly freshwater for a while and I keep all.
Matter of fact due to heat stress lake norman in charlotte suspends summer
size limits .Generally any catfish and crappie I catch are incidental and it depends
on the day if I keep them, and how many up to the limit. I measure my fish
and do not keep undersize fish . It has been a long while for saltwater but I keep some
not all Except legal flounder,yum.

Most of the fish I catch are released, but I'm not opposed to keeping a few for the dinner table. I love to eat fish but only keep what I can eat that day. I never put them in the freezer. When I'm in the mood for a fish dinner, I target those species that are especially good tasting and will keep only the one's that are the best size for consumption. I always return big or trophy sized fish. I carry a camera and practice CPR....Catch, Photograph, and Release. :D

When I'm on the water my aim is for fish dinner I can fillet with the best of em and I'm not scared to do it. I have however learned long ago the best way to invite the skunk onto the boat is to plan a BBQ before a fishing trip. My wife and I love FRESH fish I won't kill more than I can eat in 3 days or give away (I'm very popular with certain friends) I'll go to extremes to insure nothing is wasted I believe in karma. I now use a fine mesh net so as not to split Halibut tails witch causes infection I never keep any fish outside the legal size limit and nether does any one on my boat . I will C&R Calicos and Barracuda on single hook jigs but not to many because I think there is a mortality issue and no mater how hot the bite once my boat is limited on White Sea Bass these days we're done. I'm thrilled to be able to participate in the food chain. A woman who was appalled by the thought of me killing my own dinner once told me "cellophane changes everything" I think she was right.

I release most of the fish I catch in the lakes around here but occasionally keep a bass or two for dinner. When we fish for trout in the mountians we keep a few and eat them that evening.

Back