Launch and retrive boat

Davey

Participating Member
City
Venice
There are times when my fishing buddies are all working and can't get away. I would like to take my boat out but have never launched or retrieve my 190 Bay alone. I know I can launch okay but I'm not sure about retrieving alone. Any suggestions on easiest way to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance.
Davey

Davey, the link below is to this sites "Articles" section. There we wrote about the procedure we use on our 210 CC.

We have added a step to our procedures. Using a garden pressure sprayer, we spray "Salt-Away" on the brakes after launch, after retrieval, and again at home when we clean the boat. Our trailer is all aluminum, including the axles, but we do worry about have good brakes. It just takes a few minutes, and it could help us avoid serious problem's on the road.

Hope this helps.

http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1142

Davey,
I launch and retrieve my boat alone most of the time. It helps me when retrieving to back the trailer in far enough to wet the bunks then pull it out enough that when you drive the boat on the trailer the boat does not float off the bunks. The 190 Bay has a good bow to step down off of onto the trailer tongue and then to the ground.I keep a pair of knee high boots for the cold months to help. After you drive the boat onto the trailer reach over the bow and snap the safety chain and the winch strap; then step down as I mentioned. You can tighten the strap while standing on the ground. Just get in your vehicle and drive off as if you've done it a 100 times before.Raise your motor when you shut it off. You just have to do everything that your friends usually help with by yourself.The key is to take your time and as Osprey Vic says make a check list and go through it mentally each time until you're satisfied that you,ve raised your motor,tightened the winch strap,hooked the safety chain,etc. Then pull up to the parking area and go over your normal procedures before leaving the area.Try it a couple of times on a weekday when the ramps are not busy so you won't feel pressured by others that are waiting. After you launch and retrieve your boat several times your buddies will wonder why you're fishing without them.It will allow you to take advantage of some of the "Bluebird" days on the water; the ones where everything is perfect and the fish are jumping in the boat. Good luck Davey!!
John D.

Davey. When I launch before I approach the ramp I attach and coil port and starboard stern lines.
I hang those lines from aft rod holders over the side of the boat. I also attach a 25 foot line fwd .It consists of a loop that I place over the arm the trailer winch is attached to then it is wrapped to a 1foot snubber. I coil the line and lay it on the bow with the end terminating in a snap that I attach
to the bow eye . I'm now ready for whichever side of the ramp opens first. If current is running
I first back it in just untill it floats. Then with my boat hook I can reach whichever stern line is closest
and tie off with out having to get wet. When recovering by myself I again make sure both stern lines are coiled and hung over the sides and a long bow line is also ready ....before I approach the ramp.
Again make sure both sides are ready as you never know which ramp will open up. As with anything
the key is be ready before you need to. I'm often in or out by myself much quicker than the three or
four guys at the next ramp..........steve

Get the trailer alignment pole (white PVC) for the ends - makes a world of difference

Add a second winch to the bottom of the winch stand - crank the boat off the trailer, need a strong pulley block at end member of trailer.

Lauch and retrieve is a breeze, even low tide ramps.

As stated guide on poles or side bunks are a must when doing a single man operation, I fish my 150 all the time alone and it all boils down to you developing a system for yourself that works for you.

What I do is I pull up to the boat preparation area and get everything ready, pull straps, motor support, place plugs, hoist antenna, make sure ropes are in place neatly coiled and ready to go, keys in boat, all gear aboard, got fishing license? And I try to do the entire operation in 1 to 2 circles around the boat.

Then I make one last trip around the boat and hit the primer bulb a few squeezes and launch.

My rig being fairly light I can push off the trailer when the rear of the middle bunks are barely under water. So I back down and I watch the tops of the fenders for the correct depth (I took a magic marker and drew a 3" long line I could see in the side mirror). I then get out and only then, and only then unhook the safety chain and put the winch in reverse and slack off the winch strap and unhook.

I already have the 30' bow line in hand and all it takes is a firm push and we are on the water. I let the boat clear the trailer get on the dock and pull the boat out to where I tie it off and then go park the trailer.

Retrieval is just about as simple, put the trailer in the water to the mark, drive the boat on the trailer (Raise the motor a tad for safety's sake) I get with in 3-4 feet of the winch but yours will differ. Stop motor, raise motor, step over bow onto trailer or bunks, hook up and winch her up, hook up the safety chain, lock the winch and get off the ramp so you don't hold up others.

I got some 2" 3M non skid tape to put on the top of the trailer rails where I step after I did a graceful splat on the ramp in about 10" of water this year when I slipped.

Of course there were lots of witnesses and one comment was "That ought to register a 2.8 on the Richter scale":) Non skid is good stuff.

Always hook up that safety chain on the trailer, I've seen winches fail and people leave a boat sitting on the ramp and no easy way to get it back on.

Back