launching and loading solo

dk2943

Registered Member
City
Pinecrest
I know this subject may be beaten to death, and I have looked all over this site and elsewhere for advice. I just bought my 210 and, thus far, have had someone with experience to help me. However, I will be launching and loading solo shortly.

I launch into the ocean either in Miami (Matheson Hammock) or Tavernier in the Florida Keys. The ramp in the Keys is short and steep.

I am confident that I can launch by myself: Tie a line longer than the trailer from one of the front cleats to the trailer and once the boat floats off of the trailer, simply untie that line from the trailer and climb onto the dock and secure the boat. The only question I have with this is: Which front cleat do I use?

Loading is a different story. My skills are not yet there where I can put the trailer in close enough so that i can simply drive the boat up on the trailer and then get on the dock and I must admit that my physical size and age do not permit me to get off of the boat at the bow and climb down the front of the trailer. Can someone either point me to thread that answers this, or describe (in some detail please) how this is accomplished?

Thank you all in advance.

I agree, loading is much harder than launching. Depending on the ramp, current, your agility, etc I would say driving on is always preferable. The trick for driving on is to get the trailer just right in the water so the boat holds by its on weight - drive the boat up trailer until you feel it bump the roller on the hitch post, leave the engine running and the boat in forward gear, then walk forward reach over the bow, clip the boat on, walk back turn off the engine, raise the motor, then walk forward again and climb over the bow to the trailer, jump off the trailer, get in your vehicle and drive the boat up the ramp. However as you say, it does require some physical agility.

Another technique I have seen used (and misused) is the 'long rope' approach. It works if you can get the ramp nearest the jetty and you are strong enough to hold/move the boat. Dock the boat at the jetty as you normally would, tie it off, turn off the motor and raise the leg. Then attach one end of the long rope to port-side bow cleat and the other end to the port-side stern cleat. Get off the boat at the dock, go get your car and back the trailer well into the water (the boat will need to float on to the trailer). Go back to the dock, untie the boat from the dock, and use the long rope to guide the boat onto the trailer. The bow end of the rope pulls the boat up to the trailer, and the stern end keeps the boat level with the dock/jetty. You walk along the jetty guiding the boat on the trailer. Once the boat is on the trailer - depending on how long the rope is, the position of the jetty, etc - you can either tie the rope off at the dock or on to the trailer post, hitch the boat to the trailer, untie the rope and drive off without doing gymnastics or getting your feet wet.

Obviously this approach is more hassle than just driving on the trailer, and has some additional risks (like letting go of the rope or getting pulled off the jetty), but I see many older people successfully use this approach.

I am sure others will have alternative (and may be better) approaches.

Good luck.

I've learned with my 210 that as soon as the fenders are underwater (the water just covers the top) that the trailer is perfect. The hardest part is battling the current and the wind when driving it up. Our ramp has some cover so that it is somewhat easier. Once you get it lined up and on to the trailer leave the motor running in gear and then I just climb off the boat as normal and walk around to make sure it's lined up in the roller and hook it up. One of the important things is make sure your trailer is parked close to the dock so you don't have to jump off the boat to the dock. If at first you don't succeed.... I'm sure everyone else that has been by themselves while launching will understand.
As far as which cleat to use, I always use the most forward one to launch as it is less likey to get the rope tangled in anything ie bunks, guide ons.

I think that part of the issue here is the ability to both get upon the boat via the bow to drive her off the trailer, and then to hop back "off" the bow once you drive her back onto the trailer. Will come to that later but as others have made mention of.

• Once you find the water level sweet spot (and do not back her down unlatched) as to how far you can lower her into the water and it not float off. The engine can then pull her the rest of the way off. You do not need a fully floating hull to either drive one off or back onto the trailer.

• Once backed off the trailer and floating, I recommend you just have a line tied to a center point on the hull and could even be tied to a console grab rail. Then using that line meaning take it with you when jump off, and put a couple of turns with this line on a dock cleat that is also centered. I say this because many times in the wind, grabbing a line that is attached to either a bow or stern cleat on the boat alone, will allow it to swing away by either end then forcing you to then fight with the wind/boat till you can get a second line attached to a further cleat. Having a line attached to a center point on the hull though allows you a lot more time to then grab a second line (if even needed?) to fully secure it to the dock.
  • Now comes to getting her back on the trailer when you get back. Really just as easy since you already have a line that is amid ship so one end of the boat cannot drift / pivot way out of place AND is closer to your position behind the helm so you can quickly make any steering or throttle adjustments while holding that line in your lap / free hand. Most of the time I only use this one line for both lunching an recovery unless in a stiff breeze. Even then I have another line already wrapped around and ready to use on a port side stern cleat and I cannot remember the last time I actually used a bow cleat :confused:
  • So that then leaves us with the issue of being able to get both on and off the boat from the bow without leaving "parts" of you behind :D Take a look at this thread for this product and see if it or another one like it would help you in doing such ;) http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/f25/trailer-steps-1051.html

Others gave you good advice on how to launch and retrieve the boat.The last issue you mentioned is tough to solve if you have the high bow rail common on most 210's. I'm an older guy also.I ordered my 195CC without the high bow rail. I had someone make a set of lower grab rails for the bow.I use a cast net a lot and I crawl on and off the boat at the bow often because I boat alone much of the time. I would suggest cutting the high bow rail at the front to create a place to walk through it so to speak.You can get someone to weld or fix it to look natural. You could use the sides of the rail to hold onto while you are climbing down.A set of those trailer steps that Putershatk mentioned would help also. Good luck with your solution. What I mentioned is a last resort,but I would not let anything make me stay home and not go boating/fishing.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I think I have a much better idea. I promise to practice a lot!

After some trepidation, I've taken on the method used by the salt water fishermen around here and I back my boat down unhitched. When I'm singlehanding, I stop midway down the ramp and tie a line from a cleat to the dock, then I back the rest of the way down until I float the boat, and drive out from under it to park the truck. When I get to the dock, I reel in the boat boat by the line and climb on.

When I'm retrieving singlehanded, I get my feet wet and use a bow line to walk the boat to the trailer. I then winch the boat the rest of the way until it's loaded. It's a good workout, but it goes relatively quickly, and I can avoid snagging the bow pulpit against the pulley on the steep salt water ramps.

I really like some of the answers above. The best trick being to find the sweet spot on your trailer just before the boat starts to float. Power load on and off the trailer. I launch my triumph this way and did so yesterday and saw a guy in a 210cc do the same right next to me power load on and off the trailer launching solo. The hardest part will be getting on and off the boat but then if that is a problem just back down the launch close to the dock. Then you should be able to step off the dock onto your trailered boat and then do the opposite when you go to load.

Back