190 trailer bow winch location

BigBird

Participating Member
City
CHARLOTTE
190 trailer bow winch location-resolved

Hey 190 guys, I have a question about the winch location. When I load my boat on my trailer the bow is sitting below the winch. The only way I can get my boat in the loaded position is to put the strap over the roller and winch it up. It is agravating when launching because the strap hook is hard to get out of the eye because boat pinches strap, due to the loading position.
I am attaching a photo to show the position. Dont look at the black marks as I am going to install a no mar bow roller.
Does anybody with a 190 have a keel roller near the front of their trailer?
Thanks,
Lindsay

Attachments

• bow eye roller.jpg
    bow eye roller.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 99
  • trailer bunks and livewell inlet.jpg
    trailer bunks and livewell inlet.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 80
  • trailer bunks both.jpg
    trailer bunks both.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 83
BigBird,
I don't have a 190 but I believe your strap should be below the roller. The bow eye should be just below the roller and just touching it when properly loaded (like in your picture) and the strap should be close to level with the bow eye with a straight pull to the winch. I can see why it would be hard to launch with the strap in that position.

Keel rollers don't offer the support that our boats require that the bunks do.

I believe if your re-route the strap to under the roller you should be fine. You may have to adjust the winch up or down a little to get the right line-up.

I hope this helped.

Tight lines.

BigBird,
It sounds like you may have your trailer too far in the water when loading your boat on it. If the boat is floating freely it will come on the trailer with the bow down. If you leave the trailer a little higher out of the water and drive the boat onto it, I think it may leave the bow in a higher position.You may have to hand crank it a few inches to make it tight. Try what Cagrove said with the strap under the roller and try leaving more trailer out of the water and see what happens. The ramp may be very steep and that would cause the bow to come on the trailer in a downward angle also.Good luck.
John D.

I would also say strap under front roller and, at worst it looks like you might have to move the entire winch stand forward on the trailer until your bunks stick out, just a bit, beyond the transome.
Roger

strap over

I will try leaving trailer further out of the water. I dont like the strap over ther roller but that is the only way i could get enough lift to get boat in position with roller. It usually is about a foot below. It requires me to strap over roller to get loaded.
Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how it works on Monday.
I also wondered if the winch and roller position is correct. Other boats I have had the trailer had a keel roller/guide in front of the bunk boards. The keel lift enabled no winching at all.
Lindsay

I feed my winch strap under the roller

I tried putting the strap over the roller once because mine sits a little low on the trailer. This was not good. Due to the shallow angle of the next boat ramp I went to - I had to really struggle to get the bow eye over the roller to launch. Also - that event chewed up my roller pretty good. So, I now keep the strap below the roller. -Andrew

Safety chain for bow eye

Lindsay-

I just took a closer look at the photos you posted - I believe that the safety chain for the bow eye should be fed up thru the opening in the metal bracket that supports the roller- not beneath it. In the wide opening of the metal bracket- there is a very narrow slot (at least there is on mine) that is slightly wider than the width (narrow width) of the chain link. This slot is toward the bow eye. I pull the chain tight/taught- then I twist the chainlink sideways, so it fits in the slot. This way - there is very little slack in the safety chain. It locks the chain in place when you do this. Occasionally - something will cause slack in my winch strap, and I'll see the boat bouncing up and down on the trailer. Having the safety chain tight is key in this situation. It's not really tight, but the slack is only about one or two chain links - as opposed to having a great deal of slack - which can be dangerous, since the chain is the back up safety mechanism for your winch strap. - Andrew

Correction to previous post

The slot to lock the chain into is not toward the bow eye- its toward the winch. So, I believe you should redirect the safety chain up thru the metal bracket - not have it dangling beneath it. I would double check this info., though. -Andrew

low lake landing

I trailered the boat this week and did a little cattin. Loaded boat without winching by utilizing a shalllow entry.
Thanks agreety, ca, rs and Friday's I rerouted the winch strap and adjusted my chain. I didnt know the slot was for a chain adjuster
however I hit a curb a the fast food rest and knocked out my tail light lens
Thanks,
Lindsay

Follow up from the factory:
What kind of trailer does he have? It doesn't sound like an EZloader. It should have a
bow support not a roller.

bow support complete

I think I have it worked out. I have the classic v bunks(4). The only other support I have is the bow roller/stop at the bow. It is in the first picture on the left.
My question was how to get a little more lift to reach the bow stop easier. My fellow posters suggested to shallow up the trailer entry and this would prevent stern lift when trailering. This would prevent me needing extra lift while driving on.
It worked out well on the first attempt. I am eager to try it again.
Thanks,
Lindsay

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Threads

Hi BB,

The photos will help. The strap is run under the bow support and should be level or on a slight upward incline. Never a downward decline (redundant?).

Attachments

• Bow Winch 1.jpg
    Bow Winch 1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Bow Winch 2.jpg
    Bow Winch 2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Bow Winch 3.jpg
    Bow Winch 3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Bow Winch 4.jpg
    Bow Winch 4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 49
loads easy now

ok to get back on this thread i was trying to load with the trailer sunk to deep. It is a little disconcerting with such a shallow load however the boat loads much better. I just sink the bunks less than half exposed and have had no issues.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Lindsay

I know this is not the thread..just wanted to congratulate Big Bird on winning his recent CAT tourney

I know this is not the thread..just wanted to congratulate Big Bird on winning his recent CAT tourney

DID YOU WIN ANOTHER????? Great Job!

i am thinking about moving my bow roller below the bow eye to relieve pressure causing indentation on the bow. any thoughts on this ?

i am thinking about moving my bow roller below the bow eye to relieve pressure causing indentation on the bow. any thoughts on this ?

Pressure and indentation where? And caused by what?

pressure from my bow roller caused a crack. i added a keel roller but will need more support. triumph dealer tim in anaheim told me he knows a guy who built a v roller with 2 x 4 and bunk carpet to spread out the pressure. also, i was informed that putting the roller below the bow eye could cause problems getting boat on trailer.

Back