Trailer winches

Germik

Participating Member
Premium Member
Does anyone have a recommendation on a electric (12 volt) winch to replace the manual hand crank winch on a boat trailer ? Most of my boat ramps are very shallow, and I'm at the age that loading the boat is difficult. The ones that I've found seem to be so slow that it would take 10 minutes to just winch the boat in.

None that I have worked with for any period of time to see how well they hold up to marine (saltwater) use. ;)

Is the problem actually the wench, or trailer set up that prevents you from just driving it on and walking off and giving it just a few turns to hold her snug?

Also, you might find some ideas here: https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/trailer-steps.9525/

Thanks for your reply. Again, most of our lake boat ramps are unimproved, and usually shallow. Less than half are just dirt, no blacktop, or concrete or docks. To help in getting the boat on and off the trailer, I had to raise the winch location, to pull better. And I removed all the carpet from the bunks on the trailer, and replaced it with 3/4" by 5 1/2" strips of King Starboard. The carpet, when dry causes too much friction, and its difficult to get the boat off into the water. The King Starboard works great, more slippery, plus it should last for ever.
About driving the boat on to the trailer---I wish. Most of the time I have to back up with the truck half in the water before the boat will float off. I first tie 3 long ropes, one at each rear cleat, and one from the bow to the truck I can then control the boat when it floats off.
When I come in, I tie off the boat on shore somewhere, go and back the trailer in to a depth that the rear bunks are under water, or more if possible. If I'm alone, I float the boat out and guide it in with the ropes. I then connect the winch strap and start bringing it in. many times I've had to back up even more. By this time, I'm tired and can hardly crank the winch. Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't think so (only 75 years), and I want to fish for a couple more years. This is why I'm considering a electric winch, with 2 remotes. On my old Triumph 150, I had a 1500# electric winch, but it burnt out after 1 year. That boat had the winch mounted too low, not a straight line pull.
No salt water here-maybe 1500 to 2,000 miles away?
Just wondering if any one has a recommendation for a electric trailer winch.

I had that same issue with a Trailer that was simply to high for the intended use, thus (for that trailer) had to make adjustments to lower the bunks and get a drop axle.

As such, went from having the get the back tire on the SUV wet, to just getting the tire on the trailer buried rim depth, and could push it off as well as, simply drive the skiff back on ;)

Factory trailer (by design) and you have to dump it that far into the water to launch and drive it back on? Wow, sounds like it is time for rollers to help get her back on and off at least one at the stern ;)

You can see some examples of some rollers to help her at launch and recovery here:
https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/ameratrail-trailers.10234/

I spent the last 30 minutes looking at the links for the ameratrail-trailers. What I wanted to see was what you were talking about with some rollers. I think the link was too old, or I couldn't get it. My trailer looks lower than the pictures of these ameratrail-trailers. So what are these rollers that you
mention? Also, pictures of dry launching and driving the boat on to the trailer are for busy, deep boat ramps. not what I'm concerned about.

On the 5th posting in that link, is showing some wide rollers (one on the stern and one forward of the axle) that should help get your boat off the trailer with or without the use a power wench ;)

Thanks, I now see those rollers. I didn't see them before. I will see if anyone can install them on my trailer. Worth a try.

Those Amera-trail trailers are really something/beautiful. Again, thanks for your help and time.

I used a power winch with a wireless remote for several years. Never had an issue with it. It worked great. I had to wire a power port into my truck. That was no real problem. I dont remenber the make off hand but i took it off the trailer when i sold my 210cc. I still have the winch. Just no use for it

Thanks for your comment. If you happen to see what model and size of your old electric winch is, let me know. After launching my boat this weekend, I've got to do something. I ordered 2 roller kits like what Dave recommended. I'll give them a try first, but I can't see where they will help much, since there isn't any way to drive the boat on to the trailer. First off, as I first mentioned, its too shallow to drive on to the trailer, unless you don't care about your lower unit. Plus, power launching is restricted.

But maybe with the rollers, if I come in fast enough I can power off and trim up to run on to the trailer?

I just think a electric winch is the answer. When I would come in towards the trailer, I'd grab the winch strap with my pole hook, hook it up, then using a remote control to winch the boat in.
Many people complain about these boat launches, but others say that if these get improved, then more boats, more people, more traffic. So whats right?

Sorry it took so long to respond to your post. I dont remember the make of the winch and upon checking it appears all the info has faded off the stickers. I have attached some pic of the winch. As I remember it was about 11000 lb pull and had no issue pulling my 210 onto the trailer even on fairly steep ramps. I made a power cord to attach the truck to the winch for power. I will look around for it, I have to have it somewhere. here are the pics. The winch mounts easily on the winch stand where the hand crank winch is mounted.

Attachments

• winch4.jpg
    winch4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • winch3.jpg
    winch3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • winch2.jpg
    winch2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • winch1.jpg
    winch1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Thanks for the pictures. I think I can find this model on line. Right now I'm waiting for some trailer rollers to see if they work. If they don't help with loading my boat I'll be looking at buying a electric winch. How old is your winch, and would you want to sell it?

After waiting for Ameratrail to get back to me with a quote on new rollers, I gave up on them after 2 emails and waiting a couple weeks. I still haven't heard from them, other then their initall responce. I then bought 2 roller kits from a local marina and installed them myself. I adjusted them up and down 3 different times, but they didn't help at all. I think the difference is that the Triumph boats made in North carolina were made with EasyLoad trailers, or Karavan. My boat, built in Minnesota, was supplied with a Shorelander trailer, which has pivioting bunk mounts, not welded mounts. Maybe this difference is of no fact, all I know is I've wasted a lot of time and money. I visited with Dick (K9 reno). He was very helpful and If the shipping cost from Florida to Wisconsin wasn't so expensive, I would have bought his winch from him. Thanks again to Dick
To conclude, I found a Power Winch RC-23 on Craiglist, got it installed. Works like a dream. I can now load my boat by my self.(75years young).
Now if I could find the solution to my livewell pump getting air locked, I'd be more happy. I love my Triumph 170, and its going to last me many more years.

I forwarded your observations to my direct contacts at AmeraTrail for review and comment (I expect better) and glad you let us all know your experience with them!

Thanks again!
Dave

Back