Wire Do-Over

Whitto

Contributing Member
City
Sydney
Not Happy.

I have had my Triumph and EZ loader Trailer for 13 months and it's time to replace the entire wire loom and several lights due to poor quality instalation and sub-standard light connections.

Several wires attatched to the running lights have been twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape ... no solder and not waterproof.
All the running lights have metal push fittings which have corroded beyond repair and the cost of replacement LEDs is $150 ... PLUS cable!

The brake lines are looking like they are going to fail due to old age and several "U" Bolts holding the galvanised frame to the aluminium "I" beams are very rusted, as are the nuts and bolts securing the tail lights.

I wash the boat and trailer along with the motor after every use, the springs and brakes get sprayed with grease every second trip ... the bunk supports get silicone spray every second trip to make it easier to launch and retrieve the boat.

The neighbours tell me that i'm a fanatic for cleaning my boat the way i do.

I have two large rainwater tanks that I use for washing vehicles, boats, trailers, watering gardens and topping up the swimming pool ... even during the recent drought I had more water than I could use, but components of the EZ Loader trailer are rusting away faster than any previous trailer I have had!

If there was a dealer in Australia for EZ Loader they would be getting a gob full from me!

Ok, i've had my vent ... :rolleyes:

So, check your trailer on a regular basis and if you can dunk it in fresh water occasionally, go for it.

I have had a number of issues with the wiring on my EZ loader trailer also. I kept blowing the fuse in my truck that sent power to the running lights and tail lights on the trailer. I went over all the wiring and connections I could access without pulling the entire wiring harness. I found a couple places with the insulation was cut thru where the wires entered the trailer frame and one place where the wired had gotten caught in the leaf spring and was smashed flat exposing the wiring. That was what was shorting the system.
I ended up using liquid electrical tape and regular electrical tape on all the cuts and scrapes in the wiring. I also put rubber buschings at the access holes where the wires entered the frame as the metal had sharp edges. I also spread all the metal pushin connections to the lights so they were tight and coated them with dilectric (forgive spelling) grease to keep good contact and help prevent corrision. Have not had a problem since.

I would definitely contact EZ Loader customer service about this. Maybe they will provide a replacement harness since the boat is only a year old. It doesn't hurt to ask. :)

EZ Loader Boat Trailers, Inc.

Whitto,

Check out my posts from April covering the same (disgust) with this issue:

Post 1 "I just spent the day redoing my trailer side/clearance lights. I purchased LEDs from Trailer Parts SS (link above). Trouble is I shouldn't have to be doing this on a trailer used 1 year, maybe in the saltwater 25 times and washed/rinsed after every use. I suspect some of the lights were bad but it turns out I had to redo every single splice done at the factory since the inline connectors they used all corroded through and broke. Problems started midway through last season but I just got around to fixing them. The trailer is an EZ Loader. I preferred the lights available from Trailer Parts SS vs those from EZ Load."

Post 2: "Lost another half day of fishing as Saturday morning the whole right side of the trailer was dead. Took 4 hrs to locate another factory installed in-line splice (no apparent reason for this) way up by the hitch area that had corroded. At first I re-checked/re-did all my recent connections for the fear of having screwed it up myself, but another case of the factory using inferior connections. If I ever have to buy another trailer, I'm doing a very thorough inspection of the wiring and not likely to purchase another EZ Loader."

I know this isn't a solution but over the years i have developed the mindset that a trailer light-rewire is considered part of the routine yearly maintanance. I do it every spring when i pull whatever bat I happen to have out of storage along with any other commissioning work on the boat.

I'm like Pamarine and consider trailer wiring part of maintanance which keeps me from getting upset when they die on me.I have found EZ loader customer service to be very good. I would contact them as Randy suggested. Whitto,they may send you a complete wiring harness for your trailer.Look into getting some "Salt Away" if you can find it down under.I've used it on my trailer and when flushing my motor.My EZ loader trailer and lights are still working great after 2 seasons.Good luck.
John D.

I had a problem with the push in connectors on the running lights. The connecters kept comeing unplugged. To fix it I plugged in light and put a drop of superglue on the seam from the plug to the light. Problem solved so far.

HTR

I know this isn't a solution but over the years i have developed the mindset that a trailer light-rewire is considered part of the routine yearly maintanance. I do it every spring when i pull whatever bat I happen to have out of storage along with any other commissioning work on the boat.

Same same, mine hits the salt 50+ times a year. The one thing I do that really helps at connections is 1st slide a shrink tube on the line, solder the connection,apply liquid electrical tape, Slide shrink wrap over and heat.As wrap shrinks the liquid E. tape oozes out And I seal it to the wrap with a moist finger. All my push in type light connections get a lg. gob of silicone before pressing into the light

:) Thanks for the imput gang.

While it does not hurt to ask, I am not convinced about getting a response from any US company as I have had several issues ignored and most of my e-mails go without a reply. EZ Loader has not responded to any of my e-mails.

I have asked many USA companies about shipping products to Australia without a response ... I asked the Triumph factory for a warranty replacement part for my boat months ago without a reply ... I e-mailed them about the dealer network in Australia without reply. The one reply I did get from Triumph was before I bought my boat and the information supplied was incorrect!

Even Randy (NCangler) tried to get the warranty part from Triumph for me and after apologising for missing my e-mails, they promised him it would be done ... that was 2 months ago and it isn't here yet.

Naturally, i'm a bit over getting any customer service from the USA.

So it's new wire, new LEDs, soldered joints, liquid electrical tape and shrink wrap. Stainless steel nuts and bolts to replace the rusted ones and it will be many years before it needs doing again.

Regular maitenance on the brakes, bunks and "U" bolts will be ongoing.

Should a boat trailer be fitted with a sacrifical annode?

Lps-3

About once a month, I crawl under the trailer and spray everything with LPS-3. The spray leaves a waxy residue that repels water. I also repaint any galvanized area with cold galvanize paint.

I had the same issue with lights and faulty wires on my EZ loader trailer. I called them last week and they asked me to bring it to them so they could take care of it. I drove it to them and within an hour later they replaced many of the lights and faulty wires for no charge. Great service.

Just had to replace another EZ Loader factory installed electrical connection that I missed earlier in the year. Thought originally it was the ground contact but today before re-loading the boat on the trailer I gave it a good inspection and found the corroded connection. It is nice to have days when the boat launches are not packed so you can take your time putting in and pulling out of the water.

Back