Trailer troubles

J

JollySickTime

I purchased a 2006 215 in april 06 and love the boat and have not had one problem yet. The ez loader trailer is another story. I used the boat about 20 times last year and always washed everything down with freshwater having used it in Long Island Sound. I have had nothing but trouble with the trailer. First the oil bath seals leaked on 3 of the 4 wheels then the trailer lights filled with water and shorted out everything and now I'm told my brakes are a "pile of rust" as are the springs. My boat/trailer are at a dealer after the first one said the brakes are not working and said he would not fix them so I took it to an EZ loader dealer and he said the brakes are working that he can see but they are badly rusted. I'm waiting to see if ez laoder will fix them under their warranty. Is anyone having the same problems with the e-zloader trailer that came with the boat package and if so what did you do about the rusty brakes?

As for the brakes...drums are always hard to flush properly. My brakes lasted 3-1/2 seasons....that would be a average of 6 trips per year. I invested in Disc brakes...all the componets are accessable for cleaning. As for lights, since day one I had 2 shorts..I was able to fix, my latest...well I know where it is, still not sure how to get to it. My brake actuator went out in the first few months, and was covered under my warrenty.

trailer trouble

JollySickTime,
Your experience and time line and boat use are nearly identical to mine - I bought the exact same boat/trailer oufit as you at the Boston Boat show last Feb from Atlantic Boats. I live too far from Atlantic Boats to trailer my rig down there for stupid stuff like this, so they mailed me a new light to replace the one full of water. So far so good. They mailed me a oil bath hub repair kit to fix a leaky/emulsion filled hub (I haven't gotten around to doing the repair just yet so I can't yet claim success).

As for rusted brakes, I haven't looked yet! I hope this is where we differ. Keep me posted on your experience with this. Thanks.

Red Herring.

Thanks for the reply... my brakes are disk but are badly rusted which is upsetting because I always flush that area with fresh water when i'm done fishing. My last trailer had drum brakes and they lasted 6 years because of the flushing attachment. I just got the trailer back from the second dealer and he said the brakes are working fine but are rusted more than usual for a new trailer.

Funny.... I bought my boat at the same show (06) and dealer, my retirement gift to myself. The dealer in CT wanted almost $1500 more than Atlantic Boats and I too had them mail me out a set of lights and hub seals. They have been great to work with but just to far to bring the trailer back to.

Thanks for the reply... my brakes are disk but are badly rusted which is upsetting because I always flush that area with fresh water when i'm done fishing. My last trailer had drum brakes and they lasted 6 years because of the flushing attachment. I just got the trailer back from the second dealer and he said the brakes are working fine but are rusted more than usual for a new trailer.

Which means that the brakes sit all day long with salt water on them in the sun and flushing 8 hours later though helps, is not going to slow down that process much I'm sorry to say... So here is what I do that may help you.
  1. I have a weed killer can that I carry in the back of the truck filled with water and Salt Away mixture. When I go to park the empty trailer I coat hubs and swing arms (I don't have brakes, but would still work) with it before jumping on the boat.
  2. I would use this combo http://www.saltawayproducts.com/ComboPage.htm to flush your engine and trailer after each trip when you get back home.
Now that is only going to slow down the process and not stop it much less, reverse any current rust you may have. There is some chemicals though that you can put on certain parts that will convert wire brushed rusted parts to a "paint-able" surface which will help slow down such even more you can also try. :)

Putershark, I have been using that weed sprayer trick for about a year. My trailer is all aluminum but spraying the brakes each time they are dunked in salt water with "Salt-Away" has to be better than doing nothing.

Your suggestion is a good one that more boaters should follow. It just might help avoid an accident in the future.

thanks for the info.... I too was going to start using a weed spray can after I launch the boat but only with fresh water but now I'll add the salt away to the mixture.

I have the same set-up you guys have, '06 215cc w/ EZ loader trailer. I have had three tail light replacements. I only bothered the dealer about the first one, the other two I contacted EZ loader directly.

I'm now experiencing a bearing failure on the passenger side of the rear axle. My brakes are somewhat rusty, but they still work fine.

-JB

Back