Let's talk Fish...

Stoney

Participating Member
City
Marshfield
Hi Gents,

I got into boating last year and bought my Triumph 170cc. I love it! Last year I spent most of my time learning how to drive, maintain, enjoy my boat. Now I'm ready to get down to business and do some serious fishing. I have never really been saltwater fishing before. I live in SE Massachusetts on the coast. I am looking for any tips or advice to help me catch some striped bass or cod. Offshore distance, depth, bait, jigs, etc. I am hoping to buy some a new rod and reel setup as well. Are the rods/reels at Walmart any good? I am looking at a $69.99 Shakespeare baitcasting setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Stoney-

Stoney, Sounds like my story. I also am in SE mass on the Coast (Plymouth), just bought my first boat and and trying to get educated on all things boat and fishing. Where in MA are you at and where do you plan to fish?

Ted

Hey Manomet,

I'm in Marshfield right on the North River. I plan on doing most of my fishing in the North and South rivers, Green harbor, and near Scituate harbor. Do you ever get to "The Spit" over in Scituate?
-Stoney-

Wal-Mart combos

Stoney,
I've eye-balled the tackle section at Wal-Mart and was not impressed. The store stocks its shelves with bargain-priced gear. If you're serious about stripers, don't scrimp. You don't need top of the line, but quality gear enhances the pleasure of catching a nice fish. Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop both offer wide selections of quality tackle at not-so-outrageous prices and they offer combos, as well. I use Ugly Stick rods and Shimano reels. No complaints when hooked up to big fish.

FISH ON!!

Stoney -

I am out of Framingham, Massachusetts. I think a spinning reel can sometimes be easier to deal with then a baitcasting reel. I was out in Boston Harbor - near Hull, Massachusetts on Friday and Saturday. We used Shimano baitrunner reels, spider wire line with monofilament leaders, 3-way swivels, and a sinker- and caught some small flounder on the bottom with sea worms and frozen clams on Friday.
If you have never been to the "Bass Pro Shops" in Foxboro, Massachusetts (near Gillette stadium) - you might want to check that out. It's a huge,fantastic place. You could ask the people there what people are using, and you'll see more rods, reels, and tackle in one place than anywhere else in Massachusetts. Also, "Dick's Sporting Goods" is a chain that has decent stuff sometimes. Good luck.
-Andrew

Thanks Guys,

Since that last post I picked up a few fishing rods from Dicks Sporting Goods. A heavy action Shakespeare Ugly Stick (baitcasting) which I setup with some braided 30lb test for bottom fishing and a decent Okuma spincaster combo. Last week I caught 2 Stripers near New Inlet. Both on artificial jigs. I am really liking the artificial lures because it it allows you to do more than just put the bait in and wait. So far I am having a great seaon on my 170cc. I did make it to the new Bass Pro Shops. I was very impressed. Hopefully with some more experience the next time I go in there I will know what to look for.

Hey Agereety. Let me know if you would like to go fishing some time. I am not far from Hull, MA. I launch out of Marshfield which is about 40 minutes south. The fishing has been great so far and the big boys are still on their way up from the Cape.

Thanks Again,
Stoney

Stoney,
We have good results trolling for grouper and kingfish with Mann's Stretch 25 and Stretch 30 lures. I use 65lb braided mainline tied to a barrell swivel. I then attach about 3 ft of 80lb fluorcarbon leader, then snap swiveled to the lure. If you use monofilament mainline, pulling them at 4-5 mph, they dive down to depths of 25-30 feet, but if you use braided line, you can get the Stretch 30's down to 50+ feet due to the thinner diameter of the braid. I used an older model Penn reel (not sure of the model #, but it wasn't fancy) on a 6'6" Beefstick medium action rod. The grouper and kings can't stay away from them. As you're trolling these, you're rod tip will show a distinctive thumping motion at the tip. If it stops thumping, pull your lure in as you may have picked some grass up on the lure and it won't swim right (or you may have some small fish on which thought it could eat something twice its size). I feel certain they would work on your 'nawthun fish as well.

Another good trolling lure is a drone spoon. On your mainline tie a trolling sinker to get the depth you're needing. To the sinker, attach a 3-4ft fluorocarbon leader (if you're around toothy critters, attach a wire leader of 18" or so), then attach the spoon. I troll these around 4-5 mph and spanish mackeral and bluefish love them. I'm just now learning how to operate a downrigger, so that's opening up an entire different trolling opportunity for me.

Trolling also allows you to cover a lot of ground and to be able to find some good areas. If you're having luck trolling, it should also be great for bottom fishing. Watch your bottom machine and you'll accumulate a lot of your own honey holes. Here's the link to Mann's, but you can find them through Bas Pro, Cabelas, probably your local tackle shop as well. Good luck and catch 'em up.

Mann's Bait Company - Fished Around the World for Over 50 Years!

thats some good info d.c. didnt know that you could troll for grouper you learn something everday dont you.......i do know that grouper love live pinfish.....thanks again

Back