Lobster Fishing Question

BostonFisher

Participating Member
City
Boston
I fish in the Boston Harbor area and was thinking about getting a few personal lobster pots to run out there. My friends tell me pulling the pots take a long time and can be a real pain. I was thinking that a pully would make sense and I've seen them used on the commercial boats. Does anyone know off a lobster pully that fits in your rod holder/gimbal mount? I don't even know what the term is for a lobster pully and I've been looking on the internet but haven't found anything. If anyone has seen or used something like this please let me know. I want to avoid installing something on my boat and would rather have a gimbal mount system that I can remove like my downrigger which works great. Thanks!

- Noah

You may want to look at a Windlass of some sort. You could mount it to a gimble mount to be able to remove it. There are quite a few different models on the market...I'm sure there's one out there that will fit your need/budget.

If you are just looking for a pulley, Scotty make a system that they call a Trap-Ease. It's essentially a pulley on a boom that you install into a Scotty rod holder mount.

Here's a link:

http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/fishacc/trapease.html

I use the Scotty mounts for my rod holders and they are very solid, however I have never used or even seen the trap-ease in use so I cannot verify its sturdiness.

I hope this helps and good luck with those lobsters.

Back