Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Hi All,
I have a 2002 Mercury EFI, she has approximately 400 hours on her. She went in for her 100 hr service, with the request to replace the water pump / impellar. During the oil change the tech noticed a slight amount of water in the oil, at first he thought it was from the oil plug / nut. So when he went to drop the lower in for the impellar, that prompt him to look a bit closer. this is what he found, the main shaft that goes up to the power head and oil pump was covered in oil...I guess that is not to be there. That made him look close at the shaft when the oil pump seals rest on, and low and behold, the seals have worn in 2 groves, which allowed the oil to drop down. So this shaft and oil pump must be replaced. The shaft is $599.00, the oil pump is $ 395.00. Plus all the gaskets and such, labor at most will be $ 1057.00 for 12 hours labor. He stated he will try to get it done within 10, and if lucky possible 8 hours. It will depend on how stuborn the bolts are that attach the power head to the main body. :(:(:(:(
The good news, is that we found this here on land, instead dead in the water with a blow engine, due to loss of oil. I will post pictures later, the camera I had with me shown good battery, but it lied.
Also there is no real preventive maintenance for this, but the tech recommends while drift fishing, is not to idle, just shut her off.

Genelie,
Just to be clear, this is a 4 stroke, right? You're not talking about the lower unit gear oil but engine oil, correct?

Genelie,
Just to be clear, this is a 4 stroke, right? You're not talking about the lower unit gear oil but engine oil, correct?

Yes this is a 4 stroke. and it is the engine oil.

update on pictures of shaft

Hi All,
Here are the pictures of the shaft that is causing me to go broke. :D
As you can see in the first picture, all the oil stains on shaft, this is not susposed to be here. 2nd and third shows real well of the grove in the shaft. The upper grove, looks more like a rubber burn than a grove.

Attachments

• full shot of shaft.jpg
    full shot of shaft.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 54
  • shaft showing the groves.jpg
    shaft showing the groves.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 53
  • close up of groves in shaft.jpg
    close up of groves in shaft.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 53
Lot of burnt oil...

There is a lot of varnish/burnt oil on the splines of the drive shaft. How often was the oil changed? You may want to check out the rest of the motor.

update on motor

Well Barry B, my bad yes I need to do oil change more often. I was told every 100 hours, but obviously that is way to long. I have been miss led on every aspect of this boat and motor. Oh well , my bad again, for not researching stuff, or reading more of the post here on maintenance, lesson learned!!
She is all put back together, all tuned up and ready to go. For a whopping $2347.00 ( heck I was told my motor is only worth $2500.00) Still cheaper than a new one :)I will be takeing her out this Saturday for her first run of the season. The Yellowtail out here are still going off. THANK YOU EL NINO :D

I need to get out too...

Well, congrats on the rebuilt. Yellowtail...sounds good to me. :)

Back