Modify Unused Trailer for 210

richardbfin

Participating Member
State
UT
I really appreciate the advice on this site, and the deep reference materials. I'm starting a second thread here related to the as-is 2003 210 that I bought cheap, and without a trailer. I've found an unrelated trailer that I will need to convert, and I have a few constraints.

Here's the trailer, and the bunk specs repeated here for easy viewing. I have to pick up the boat next week and bring it back here to Midway, UT. We will have 18" of snow on the ground when I get back and I won't really be able to fine tune and perfect the setup until spring when I can launch the boat, leave it in a slip for a day or two while I work on the bunks. So, with that, I'm wondering how minimalist I can go for right now. As I understand it, the 210 has a stainless steel keel stretcher running up the keel. On this trailer I can see a little curve up towards the front on those center keel bunks. But could I just cut that bunk back until it has no curve and let the 210 mostly rest on those keel bunks? Then, there are just the two outboard bunks as shown in the photo. I need to go measure, but I think they are lower than the 210 spec. Can I just add 2x6 shims to those outboard bunks until the hull is balanced? I'm used to sailboats where you basically set the boat on it's keel and then just brace side to side to keep from tipping. Can that approach work here?

As regards the bow support point, the trailer does not have a cross beam there for support. Again, thinking minimalist for the winter, I am thinking I will just lash a 2x6 across the trailer frames and then shim up until I contact the hull. I presume that this bow support should not be lifting the hull in any way, rather, preventing sag. Is this correct?

Opinions and advice appreciated. Wish me luck, right?

Attachments

• bunkllayout.jpg
    bunkllayout.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 29
  • trailer 4.jpeg
    trailer 4.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 26
  • trailer 2.jpeg
    trailer 2.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 25
  • trialer 1.jpeg
    trialer 1.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Richard, I think you have it correct. The bow support is a minimal pressure point. I see no problem with you leaving the full length center line bunks for now. If you can replace the outer bunks with longer boards you will be fine. The Triumph trailers have only front and rear attachment points for the long bunks. This allows the bunks to flex in the middle and better conform to the natural bend in the hull. Does your boat have an OB mounted? If not you will definitely be fine through the winter. If you do have the weight of an engine the current support should suffice.

I also agreed with Harper. I refurbished my original trailer a few years ago and then had further issues with it and finally bought a new one from Rolls Axle located in Plant City, Florida. I downloaded the schematic from our website and they fabricated exactly what I needed. Good Luck.

I also agreed with Harper. I refurbished my original trailer a few years ago and then had further issues with it and finally bought a new one from Rolls Axle located in Plant City, Florida. I downloaded the schematic from our website and they fabricated exactly what I needed. Good Luck.
May i ask what price point you incurred? I have a Logic 210CC and a trailer that is questionable and without brakes.
Thanks in advance for your help!

As a matter of fact, I just scheduled my custom trailer build with Coastline Trailers here in TX. Biggest manufacturer in these parts. Every other trailer I see in the coastal bend area of TX is a Coastline. $5684, guide poles (which I've never had or used), tandem 3500# axles with alloy wheels, tires and spare. All aluminum with all stainless steel hardware. I drop the boat on 31 March, pick it up on the new trailer on 3 April. Not Rolls axles, but torsion axles. Going to try and convert my EZLoader to something useful, like a flatbed. LOL

May i ask what price point you incurred? I have a Logic 210CC and a trailer that is questionable and without brakes.
$1,200 for the used trailer, off of the local newspaper classifieds. (KSL.com). The guy has a really interesting business model. He buys really old boats that have solid (in his evaluation) big inboard engines. He fixes those up and sells them, can dump the boat at the local landfill for $50, and then sells the trailer.

As a matter of fact, I just scheduled my custom trailer build with Coastline Trailers here in TX. Biggest manufacturer in these parts. Every other trailer I see in the coastal bend area of TX is a Coastline. $5684, guide poles (which I've never had or used), tandem 3500# axles with alloy wheels, tires and spare. All aluminum with all stainless steel hardware. I drop the boat on 31 March, pick it up on the new trailer on 3 April. Not Rolls axles, but torsion axles. Going to try and convert my EZLoader to something useful, like a flatbed. LOL
Wow. That will be really nice!

Bow support system is easy enough to add on that one and most trailers... Here is what I used many moons ago that was also adjustable so you could get a near perfect fit for recovery and long term storage.

full

full

More Triumph related trailer rebuild examples here: https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/media/2011-04-29_12_13_19-jpg.7894/

Next I would also recommend as part of the rebuild process on that one, to hit that puppy with some bed-liner type of coating and I attached an article I have started on that process for Flats Nation.

Also, more tips here: https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/trailer-repair-cleaning-detailing-tips.9266/

Hope this helps!
Dave

Attachments

• Boat Trailer Coatings.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 0
It was a few years ago. Around 5500.00. I was given 1,000.00 for my old trailer and he offered a military discount. I believe with taxes 4,300.00

Back