My Propulse Experience

Codfish

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Payette
A little background..... Bought my Triumph 210CC in the winter of 2004 from dealer in Washington State. Came with 2004 Suzuki 140 with a factory aluminum 3 blade prop in 19P. That setup worked fine for the first few years but it seemed to be underpowered or over propped, especially running offshore in 5 to 10 foot swells. I longed for more quickness and better ability to stay on the backside of large swells and more ability to climb those same swells, particularly when entering a port and crossing the bar. The boat was fast enough on flat water, about 33 mph and almost never hit the rev limiter.

About 5 years ago I decided to do something about the performance. I installed a Bob's Machine Shop Anti-Ventilation Plate and at the same time purchased a Propulse 4 blade propellor, which I set to an 18 Pitch. After some short dialing in sessions I found that my guess of 18P was right on. I now had quicker time to plane, no porpoising, and could climb waves much easier and faster with full utilization of the power band and WOT could hit the limiter if I let it. I also noted quicker turning and more ability to maneuver at slower speeds and better ability to maintain a plane at slower speeds. All things that I expected to achieve and was very pleased to have received.

I am now contemplating some additional changes to the drive configuration of the boat with the addition of a set back bracket and possible wedges to maximize efficiency and minimize fuel consumption on long days way out in the ocean looking for tuna.

I really like the way my Propulse has performed and the way it allowed me to play with the variable pitch feature and achieve my goals without the hassle of buying and returning multiple propellors. The ease with which I could adjust the pitch was super and the style of blade "chopper" was perfect for my boat.

A number of people have asked me if I like the Propulse and they also ask about the "flex" of the blades and whether I notice that. All I tell them is that there was such an improvement in the overall performance that I cannot see any problem at all with the flex slippage. If it is there, it cannot be quantified by my humble capabilities.

As to the subject of top end speed, It is very close to the same but I get there much quicker and have more power to modulate the throttle and stay where I want to on the back side of a swell. Besides, in this ocean, with its large swells, it is not common to encounter conditions that allow cruise speeds faster than the low 20's or you will be needing back surgery.

Love my Propulse and the BMS plate.

Dave "Codfish" Codding

Last edited:
Thanks Dave! Any idea what you're prop slip percentage is?

Try this site and plug in your numbers. Sounds like the perfect setup for you. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I'm just really curious how much slip you have.

Prop slip calculator

Excellent review Dave! And Propulse appears to be making return to the market and their US HQ is now in Sarasota Florida.

propulse_propeller_1.jpg

If you are interested in reading more about them, you can more information on their product line here:

http://www.propulseusa.com/

And let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors sent you if you do reach out to them :cool:

Happy Boating!
Dave

Little tidbit. There was a prop way back when......that automatically shifted when reaching higher RPMs. Started at flat pitch and increased as the revs built up to achieve better hole shot without sacrificing top end speed. It was stainless steel and very well made. I almost bought one....and then it just disappeared from the market. Who knows why some tech just doesn't make it. :rolleyes:

1546964193056.png

Last edited:
Holy, holy, holy..... That boat jumps completely out of the water!

Zero to "Max grunt" for sure!

Here is the last chat / history on them that I could find from back in 2007.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...9287-land-sea-torque-shift-prop-where-to-find

Yep, "Dead Jim" (like Triumph Boats) for sure... :( Maybe we can work with Propulse on pulling in some of that design into their product? It's all in the hub and they already have a good starting point for the same application ;)

I like my solid, OEM prop. No moving parts, and has proven itself offshore in less than pleasant conditions. Just makes me wonder how that prop would hold up under 250-300 HP on a large boat, foul conditions, etc. Those conditions would tell a lot about the product. I just wouldn't want to be the test subject in said conditions testing and wondering if it would last.

Just makes me wonder how that prop would hold up under 250-300 HP on a large boat, foul conditions, etc. Those conditions would tell a lot about the product. I just wouldn't want to be the test subject in said conditions testing and wondering if it would last.

Well......variable pitch props have been on airplanes with mega horsepower for eons. Probably just needs someone to re-design it and give it another shot at the market. We will surely see it resurface again in the future.

Yep, I'm familiar with variable pitch props both on planes and ships. It can be done.....

Good read

Video on the Propulse Prop you can see the Features and Benefits of running one "even" if it is just for a lightweight back up unit, that will not waste away setting down inside one of your storage hatches ;)

The newer website now has some interesting content for those interested in the product.

https://www.propulseusa.com/about/mounting/instructional-videos/

And a guide for those looking to see if they have one that will work for your engine needs?

https://www.propulseusa.com/guide/

If nothing else they make for a great very lightweight test and backup prop. And since there is little there that can rust, you can as I have done in the past. Just leave it onboard in a bag in some compartment to have as a spare unit :)

Back