Mystery Key

cagrove

Contributing Member
OK...I've had this key on my key ring since I bought the boat. What is it for?

admin.php

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, I never new that as well, STILL I really do not remember seeing any spot for a key.. I am definetly going to check this out tonight.

MolarBoater said:
Great! My compass is off 5-10 degrees guess there's somewhere to "stick" that key underneath in the console.

After I found out what the key was for, I went and looked for a way to adjust the compass. I still haven't found it. Does anyone know where the adjustment mechanism is? A photo would be terrific.

On mine (yet most I have seen were the same) it is the screw right near the base dead center of the compass. The screw should also be made of brass so the screw head should also be about the same color as the compass key ;)

Easy to test to make sure you are adjusting the correct screw though, for the compass head should start to turn as you turn the key... Now if it is off already due to some kind of near metal object like a VHF or CD player speaker it may NOT stay off at a constant (for example) 10 degrees it if is already being effected by such. This is why you have a Compass Card inside an aircraft that shows just how much the compass is off (+ or -) in degrees for various headings.

I say this so you do not think that if the compass is off a constant 10 degrees (say pointing 170 when headed due South) it may not be same 10 degrees off and maybe pointing 355 when headed due North... It is much better if you move the object that is causing the "initial deviation" first further away from the compass (if possible), then it is to try and make one adjustment thinking your adjustment will "hold" for the full 360 swing of the compass :)

If not that, then I would (if you are going to travel long distances) make sure that you check at least the 4 major headings and compare them with your GPS and denote on your console, just how far off each heading really is cause.... Your GPS can go South (much pun) at any time, but the compass does not even need to have power (its strong suit) to keep working and get you home :D

I think my compass has two adjustment screws, Of course they are where I can't exactly see them....like around the side. My original didn't work right so I upgraded to a bigger Richie unit.
I tried the go in one direction using my GPS untill I could beach the boat still pointing in that direction. Then I would cram myself into the console to make the adjustments. What a pain!
I'd do it with my boat on my trailer but it's steel.

Compass Adjustment

Compass adjustment is made by a taking a series of known headings and then adjusting the compensation bars at the base of the compass.

Remember, compasses indicate the direction of MAGNETIC NORTH.

The adjustment process is described in Chapman's, Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling. If you don't own this book, buy it and READ it. It may save your life.

When you GPS fails, it will be at the worst moment and you will not be within sight of land, it will be dark and you will need to find your way home. You will need your compass and should have the ability to do some dead reckoning navigation.

Back