Genelie

Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Here is the deal, I know some of you also havce problems with the lights. Today I decide to work out some possible shorts. I started with the first place you should check...The bulbs themselves. Only to find that my scew that holds the lens on is......rusted beyond what a screw driver can grab onto.....
Okay the next step tap and die. to extrac the bad screw. Well Theses screws must be made out of titanium, I could not drill enough fro the ez-out to grab onto, plus being a unstable area, to much give as you try to hammer it in.....SOOOOOooooo all you genious's got any suggestions for me..outside of breaking the lens, and ordering a replacement.? :confused:

My screws were the same. I was able to drill the screw out but it popped at the head and the body of the screw was still in the assembly. The bolts and nuts that hold the tail light assembly on the trailer were so rusted that I ended up drilling the head off of the bolts to remove the assembly from the trailer. Tried to cut the bolts with a dremel but it got hot and was starting to melt the plastic cover that goes on the trailer. I finally drilled the head off of the bolts. Water had gotten in the light assembly (so much for their rubber gaskets) and they were so rusted I couldn't get the bulbs out. The entire tail light assembly was so bad that I just broke down and bought 2 new complete assemblies. Bought some stainless bolt, nuts, and washers to keep the plastic cover on the trailer. Made some mounts to attach the lights to the boat so that they won't be dunked again. Material was definitely not made for salt water!

I saw that to, had the same thougfht on the stainless bolts

Left handed drill bit

I've been in the "get the corroded screw out" business for quite some time, as I'm a chief engineer on an ocean going vessel. The best thing that I found was this:

Get youself a "left handed drill bit" of the apropriate size (1/8" ?). Wind the WD-40 to what you can see. As you drill into the screw head (in reverse) there is a better than even chance that she'll come loose or the screw head will fall off. It's worth a shot.

Good luck,
Ron

Back