New member - Looking at 170cc and need some input

mondo80

Registered Member
City
Circleville
Hi all, I am new here and am thinking about buying the 170cc. I heard many great things about these boats and some troublesome things as well. I don't know how much of what negative I hear is tru so i figure you are all the people to ask.

My concern is that I live in the north, so can the boats take cold weather due to its plastic construction? Some "none owners" say that it can become brittle like lawn chairs.

Will I ever have structural problems such as warping, cracks, etc. even if I never take it off the water or the trailer that is upplied?

I am looking to keep this one for a long time will the hull construction stay consistent, reliable, and durable over time, even for 5-10-or 15 years?

I am not concerned over a few loose screws....

how about leakage???

I hope that you all could help me... I am drowned by advertizements from triumph that are of course positive and also by nonsence biased individuals who for one reason or another feel the need to attack this company.

so those that know and own these boats, you are the experts please help. I know all lines have thier problems, none are perfect.

Hi Mondo80, welcome to the site. I have a 2006 170cc with a 75hp etech. I live in the mid coast Maine area and love my boat. I had my boat in the water until Dec 17 last year and put it back in on March 14 this year. There is NO problem with this type of boat and cold weather. This is one tough boat. I have had this boat airborne several times with no problems. I have had a few loose screws {so my wife says} but there is an easy fix called the hot screw tx. I haven't had any problems with cracks or leakage. Even those nonsence biased individuals say the 170cc is a good boat. I think it is great. The only thing I didn't like a first was the lack of storage, but after awhile I made it work and it works well, less junk! I don't think you will be disappointed with this boat. There is alot of info on this site and great people to ask. Randy has really do a great job on this site. good luck and keep asking questions, Bob

Welcome aboard mondo80. I moved your post to your own thread so folks can welcome you aboard. I am a 215 owner so I'll let some of the 170cc owners tell you their experience with Triumph. But here are some links to threads about the cold weather up north issue:
http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2321
http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2219
http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2079

There may be others that you can find using our search function on the main page. Regarding the question about possible warping, cracks...you must keep your Triumph on the factory supplied or designed bunks shown in the owners manual. If you do you'll be fine. The Roplene hull on a trailer or lift just needs support at specific areas of the hull.

Hope this helps. Best wishes with the decision. A good question to ask is what kind of boating you'll be doing and in what kind of water, too. ;)

Mondo80, welcome to this site.

As I get older my memory is not near as good as it used to be, but I think if you use the "Search" feature at the top of the page you will find where your current questions and many more have been answered by others in the past.

You can also just start reading the 170 forum, the "Articles" section, etc.

There is a GREAT group of people on this site, some Triumph/Logic owners, and others like yourself looking for more input.

My wife and I searched and tried to learn for years before getting our Triumph. Just wish we would have purchased sooner.

Also, in the opinion of many, there is no such thing as a "perfect" boat. Our 210CC is the closest that we could find for our needs.

Good luck on your search.

to all thanks very much for the input... it is valued. I am feeling positive about this.

Mondo80,

I have a 170DC but it is the same hull as the CC. I live in the cold (according to my wife) North. Okay, that's North Carolina, so we don't have the temperature issues that you have in New York. I've only had this boat for a year but I've owned several other boats over the last 20 plus years and would trade all of them for this one.

I had some of the same concerns that you do but after searching the forums, seeing the boat, and asking questions on this site, I came to realize that the folks that were bashing the boat didn't know what they were talking about.

Triumph would not offer a lifetime warranty if they did not think the boat would last.

Ask any owner on this site if they would go back to an aluminum or fiberglass boat of the same size and you'll find that most, if not all, would rather keep what they have.

The 170, regardless of model, is a great fishing boat. I wish you the best in your boat search.

Tom

My 210 took two weeks of sub zero temps in 05 the only problem i had was part of my engine froze and cracked. the hull was fine. on one trip back from florida in jan after that my boat was a sheet of ice. i used a hammer to clear it off. no problems at all.

I'm far from an expert, since I've only had my new (to me) 2003 170DC in the water a few times, but on a test ride prior to purchase, we had to break through about 3/8" of ice at the boat ramp to put the boat in the water. The original owner had the boat stored outside here through several Colorado winters and the hull is in perfect condition.

Hello Mondo80;
I live in the Great Basin between Death Valley and Yosemite. The boat sits all summer at a lake at the 7200 ft level and winters in the high desert with temps around 10 to 20 degrees with some temperatures dipping down to 0. I also use the boat in the winter up on water between Reno and Lost wages "Las Vagas". The Temps can get really cold, plus well over 110 in the summer. My boat is a 01 logic 17cc and has done real good with only a few loose screws including my shelf. I hope this might help you
Tim;)

Hi Mondo80,

Like everyone else said cold is not an issue. I've had my 17cc for two years. Obviously being in Maine it sees plenty of cold weather.

I haven't had any warping or cracking issues.

Regarding longevity I can't offer any first hand experience since mine is still relatively new at two years old.

Thanks all.... I have decided to purchase the 170CC and feel very excited about it...thanks for all the sound addvice and insight...
thanks

Back