WPoncho

Registered Member
State
FL
Hi everyone,

I've owned our 2002 Triumph 170 since Oct 2019 (good timing). I got it with 347 hrs (on the gauge), and now we have over 470 hrs on it. It has a Suzuki 90hp 4-stroke. I have never seen anyone else have this engine size, but it is definitely a 2002 which leads me to believe that it is from the factory. Also all of my research says that it should have a 21 gallon tank, but I don't think that I have one. I thought I had one and at around 12 gallons I ran out of gas. Luckily I was really close to a marina and a buddy with a gas can. It has been a good boat, but I think within the year we should upgrade to a larger boat. A family of 4 doesn't really fit on this boat, but it is definitely a good learner boat for our kids. I look forward to learning all I can from you all. Thanks.

Welcome aboard! Glad you've joined us. Hopefully the information in our Triumph forums will be helpful to you.

Randy
administrator

My 2004 Triumph 17 does have a 21 gallon tank.
Here is how I know
I siphoned out all the gas until I could get no more out
Then I filled it, watching the gas gauge as I did so
Did not read anything until I got to 13 gallons added then it suddenly went up to 1/2 tank
1/4 tank - no reading
1/2 tank 13 gallons
3/4 tank 16 gallons
Full tank 20 gallons

So the gauge was sticking and not very accurate, especially in the lower end of the fuel tank, but it did allow me to add 20 gallons after siphoning it as low as I could get it. I just top it off, adding stabilizer every time - it is better to prevent problems with condensation anyway.

I only have a 50 on mine, which is fine for a couple of people and has gotten the boat on plane with 5 fairly small people onboard, but a 60 or 70 is probably the best overall engine size. I think a 90 is more engine than it needs.

Back