New owner in Quebec: Logic 170CC Great boat!!!

LakeAlbanel

Registered Member
City
Quebec
Hi everybody!!!

I'm now the proud owner of a ''like brand new'' 170CC Logic, with a great Suzuki 90hp 4 stroke in the back.

I bought this boat from the original owner, always kept in a garage, less than 10 hours of use!!! ( confirmed by my mechanic. Great deal!!!

For now, i'm in learning of how to deal with this new baby, just been on the water three times since i have it.

Seems to be rough on wave, maybe the nose is too light. I'm thinking about put some weight in the front storage compartment. What do you think about it?

I also have to check a couple of things, like the livewell... I hear the pump but, there's no water that coming in. I noted that there was some water in the bilge. Is this water coming from a disconnected hose from the livewell pump? I don't know for the moment...

I wonder how i can access easily to the ''under-floor'' of my boat... To check this all. I will go to the forum to check it all.

Great to be there!!!

í‰ric, from Quebec city, Canada

Congratulations Eric and welcome aboard! I'll let some 170 owners on the site respond to your questions. If you don't get an answer in a couple of days let me know and we'll try to get one for you. :)

I had the same problem with the livewell pump... I had never used it so when I did try to fill, all I got was noise from the pump. I replaced the pump and it works, but I have to put a hose on the black fitting inside the live well and siphon some of the water up to get it started.

Welcome abord í‰ric, I had the same issue with my livewell pump. I pulled out the head of the pump and reinstalled it on immediately with attention to turn it well clockwise. Everything is OK since that. Probably that the head of the pump was'nt completerly engaged and there was some air coming in the head instead of water. You could try this before changing the pump. Tu vas sí»rement adorer ton nouveau bateau.

Thanks guys!!!

Two problems solved in one shot.... Each time i took the boat, after maybe 15 minutes, i noticed a lot of water in the boat. To be sure that my hull had no craks, i put the garden hose in the boat ( on the trailer... ) and, i filled the hull.... No leak anywhere. Good news but, where was this water coming in?

The day after, as i was trying to find out why my livewell didn't fill up, myy neighbor told me to check un der the console, where de hose is coming.... Or where the hose ''is supposed'' to come in.... The hose was not plugged!!! In fact, i didn't saw the hose anywhere.... At this moment, my neighbor was holding the end of my garden hose in the fill hole of the livewell pump ( in the back of the transom ). Suddenly, i had a ''flash''... I checked in one of the back compartment, where we can see the botttom and... There was a lot of water!!! So i had my answer.... The pump was correctly working but, the hose had nevers been correctly installed, so it was laying in the bottom of the boat. That's why my boat was taking water..... The hose was below the water line when the boat was on water, so the hull was filling, just by gravity....

Now: how to catch the end of the hose by the so little hole under the console ( where all direction cables and electric wires are coming through??? A good frien of me arrived at this time and, asked me if i had a long piece of steel wire... Yesss!!!
I made a little loop in the wire and, slowly put it through the tiny hole under the console, my friend first put out the livewell hose to find the end of the hose, and he finally caught the end of the metal wire i was pushing at the rear, under the floor.
We tied the metal wire with the end of the livewell hose ( with duct tape ) and, i started to pull on the wire, now ''connected'' with the hose end. It took no more than 5 minutes!!!! I finally had the hose in my hand, put the end where it goes, strap it with a collet and.... Problem solved!!!!!

Next!!!

Now for my ''light nose'' problem.... A friend of me ( also the boat mechanic who checked the boat when i bought it ) told me to fill the livewell before adding any unwanted weight in the front. I tried but it made no perceptible difference. So i tried another trick, i cut a truck tube ( what's in the tire... don't know if it's the word... ) in two half, put sand in the halves and closed it with tie wraps. Really heavy weight!!! Too much.... I tried this two times, one in calm water: nose didn't get in the air, but lost almost 6-7mph, and boat was now harder to steer. Tried it another time, in one, one and a half foot choppy waves ( like we oftten have here in the St-Lawrence river, they call it reverberating waves ) and, boat was solid as a rock!!!

But i talked to some friends of me, who works in a boat shop and, they told me that smart tabs would do a better job, without add any unwanted weight. I'm in reflexion about that. I'm wondering how the Roplene will retain those little screws ( in the smart tabs kit )... Maybe put some bolts and nuts, or maybe put a SS plate on the transom ( one on each side ), to add strength, and fix the tabs on it...

Also, i will install a kicker in the back, a Nissan 8hp four strokes, i had a special bracket made for it, i wanted a fixed one, not the model that swing up and down. I will add two strong aluminium plates in the front of the transom, to add strength, a little one in the up section of the front transom, and a bigger one down. The bracket is also fixed on a pigger plate that cover a large section of the back of the transom, again, to add force. I will post pictures in the 170 section as soon as i do it.

For today, i will replace the latch of the two back compartment, the plastic ones are so cheap... One is already broken. I found ''ball latch'' to be an easy solution. I found some made of brass.

And friday: let's go fishing!!!! :)

í‰ric
p.s. Bonjour Moon Loon!!! Tu es au Québec? Il y aurait donc au moins un 195CC ici au Québec??? Wow!!!! C'est le modí¨le qui me fait ríªver.... Mon prochain!!! ( budget oblige.... ). De quelle région es-tu? Je suis de la région de Québec, í  ma connaissance, il y a un autre Triumph ici tout prí¨s, d'ailleurs le gars qui le possí¨de doit venir faire un tour ici ce soir, il habite í  4-5 km. Il a un 170DC. J'ai connu un autre gars au Saguenay qui a un 170CC, un gars de La Baie, c'est d'ailleurs suite í  une visite chez lui pour voir son bateau, que ma décision s'est prise. J'ai parlé í  un mécano chez le concessionnaire de Laterrií¨re ( au Saguenay ) et, il m'a mentionné qu'ils en ont vendu un y a pas tellement longtemps ( un 195CC ), serait-ce le tien? Je vais régulií¨rement píªcher sur le Fjord, étant originaire du coin. J'aimerais beaucoup voir ton bateau ''live'', si l'occasion se présente.

Au plaisir!!!

Glad you got her in shape. As I was reading I was thinking you need smart tabs LOL...

Do a searchn on herenthere is lots of info on them and you should have no trouble mounting them, I used the hardware that came with them and have been fine, just make sure you get the correct on for your boat.

Happy to see that your problem is solved. A missing hose is enough to let enter too much watwer un the hull, especially if you help by letting the pump running in attemp to fill the livewell. I live in Amqui on the shore of the Matapédia Lake at the head of the fame salmon river on the same name. I plan to go to Québec City to fish on the St-Lawrence River in july before to go to Lake Ontario for salmon fishing. I willl send you my cell pnone number by perosnnal message so you will be able to call me and why not, plan a trip to let you try my 195cc.

Good morning!!!

Great Piece of paradise, the Amqui area!!! I'll surely be glad to see and try your 195cc, and bring you on my favorites spots on the St-Lawrence!!! I'll call you soon!!!

We had a nice day Yesterday on the river, catfich, saugers, walleyes and white perch were there. Here is my first try to post pictures here...

The more i fish with my 170cc, the more i love it!!!

í‰ric

Congrats on the "new" boat! I love my 170cc. That 90hp is a LOT of motor for that little boat, not sure what it weighs but that might be part of the issue with the rough ride. I would wonder what effect adding another 80 pound motor on the back might do to the ride. I wouldn't want to add that to the back of my boat. With the two motors, you must have an extra couple of hundred pounds on the back.

Nice fish! Enjoy!

I agree with Shallowminded. Adding more weight to the stern with your rig is probably not advisable. I would also look into trying to correct the what you call "light front" with motor height and trim adjustment first. Using tabs to push the front down will also lift the back and with that much power the hull might get squirrely at higher speeds.

Yes, i know that put another motor ( my kicker 8hp: 81 pounds ) will add some unwanted weight, but i use to go fishing sometimes to very far lakes, where there is no help available in case of motor failure. So to have a kicker is a must...

For now, my boat is at the dealer for smart tabs installation, my kicker is not installed yet. I will try the boat without the kicker installed ( but with the tabs on... ), and after, i will install the kicker. If the result is too bad, i will remove the kicker and, just bring it with me ( in some kind of padded case, tied in the front of the boat ) when i will go to far areas... If ever a breaking would happend with my 90hp, i'll just have to go to the shore an install the kicker. The only reason for the kicker is, for safety... The bracket will be installed as soon as my boat is back home, and it will be permanently installed.

I'll keep you in touch!!!

Thanks for all your precious advices!!!

í‰ric :)

I agree with Shallowminded. Adding more weight to the stern with your rig is probably not advisable. I would also look into trying to correct the what you call "light front" with motor height and trim adjustment first. Using tabs to push the front down will also lift the back and with that much power the hull might get squirrely at higher speeds.

Can you explain me, what you mean by: ''with that much power the hull might get squirrely at higher speeds.''

Thanks a lot!!!

Can you explain me, what you mean by: ''with that much power the hull might get squirrely at higher speeds.''

Thanks a lot!!!
Trim tabs work by deflecting the passing water causing the hull to move in the opposite direction of the deflection. This provides some pivoting action to bring the bow down while it also raises the stern some. With less hull in the water, directional control will be lessened. Couple that with the high speeds your boat will be capable of with that 90hp and some choppy water and you could get a hard to control squirrely condition. Just be aware of it first time out at WOT. Also water conditions will play a big part. I have operated many high performance very fast boats and have experienced this condition often. When operating at high speed motor trim is preferable over tabs. When operating at high speeds with the hull having little contact with the water, things can go from fun to disaster in a millisecond.

Well, i think i understand, not sur at 100% but, i will take great care.

When i'm at speed ( example: more than 30 mph ) , the hull is completely ''on'' the surface. So with tabs, i don't think it will change a lot.

The reason to install it is, to keep the boat plane at low speed, slowest as possible, and also to keep the nose down.

I still don't understand the word ''squirrely''.... Do you mean ''unpredictable''?

Thanks a lot!!!

í‰ric

I think he is saying hard to control smoothly. I love my smart tabs and I found my boat very hard to steer (straight) without them and noticed a great improvement with them as far as the steering and getting up on plane quick...

When i'm at speed ( example: more than 30 mph ) , the hull is completely ''on'' the surface. So with tabs, i don't think it will change a lot.

The reason to install it is, to keep the boat plane at low speed, slowest as possible, and also to keep the nose down.

I still don't understand the word ''squirrely''.... Do you mean ''unpredictable''?

Thanks a lot!!!

í‰ric
You understand correctly.

You will in fact gain more control at lower speeds, but with your light hull and extra hp, it will become lighter at full plane (On the surface, as you put it). Squirrely just means that it will be more susceptible to directional changes on it's own without any steering input from you. Mostly due to wind or sea conditions. You'll feel it. Just use caution at higher speeds.

Mr300s 215 is a complete different category boat than yours and will react differently with his hull design and power to weight configuration. Trim tabs (adjustable) are great for correcting for wind, sea state conditions and boat load distribution, but are typically put on alot to correct for other underlying boat setup issues like poor motor trim or weight distribution. As Smart tabs are non-adjustable and lesson (spring loaded actuator) their effectiveness the faster you go, they're primary function is to provide bow trim at low speeds.

Enjoy your Logic 170CC.

Push&Pull thanks, I don't know why I thought he had a 215 even with the photo there missed that. To many gas fumes today changing my fuel filters.

I love regular trim tabs because they can be adjusted on the fly however the price just didn't warrant it so the smart tabs were the next best thing. They are adjustable to a certain degree. My butt is heavier than the wife's so it was just a matter of changing the ram to a different hole position to accomplish what I was triryingng to do..

Good morning guys!

Glad to see that i finally understood what you were meaning by ''squirrely''.

On the St-Lawrence river, where i usually play, most of the time, waves are small but choppy and, with my light boat, it's a really bad idea to want to go fast ( i did it one time and, 3 screws popped out from the floor!!! ), so i will probably not experiment the danger you're tell me, about the rapid and unpredictable changes ( and unwanted! ) of direction. The only time i go fast, is when the river is a mirror.

I'll keep you in touch as soon as i have experimented the tabs. I recently met a guy here in Quebec, who have a 170dc ( yes there are two Triumph boats in Quebec city haha!!! ), and he put a Stingray for the same purpose, he loves it. But my boat mechanic said to me that tabs would be better, for steering control.... We'll see.

Have a good week-end guys!!!

Here, with winds from 15 to 30 knots, i'm glad my boat is at the shop.... :)

í‰ric

Follow..... Smart tabs are installed!!!

First ''road'' test: Great!!!!! Success all the line!!!

Been on the St-Lawrence river yesterday, choppy waves in the afternoon, with 4 adults ( 2 of 200 pounds+, sitting in the back ), 2 freezers, full tank of gas, livewell filled.

Hole shot takes about 4-5 seconds ( instantly when i'm alone ), the nose immediately come down, the V go through the waves instead of the bottom ( before tabs where installed, when the boat was at low speed ), so a smoother ride, i can now cruise in choppy waves, more slowly: 12-13mph instead of 19-20mph, with the boat quietly surfing.

Really glad of this add on my boat!!!!

I know it will never be as sweet as a 2500 pounds 19 degrees hull 195cc but, for now, really satisfied!!!!

And for the Top speed, as the wind as calmed down after 9 pm, we've been to 37mph ( gps ) and the tide was coming against us, so i presume about 40-42mph on flat lake conditions.

Fishing was also good, with maybe 10 to 12 walleyes, and 5-6 catfish. Two of the walleyes were more than 6 pounders!!!

Boat is still in the back of the truck, let's go again today, when the tide will going down!!!

í‰ric :)

Looks good! Congratulations on the addition. :)

Back