North East Florida

JR_Gar_Fisher

Participating Member
City
Middleburg
So above and beyond my current ankle fusion surgery issues. I have been offered a job in Jacksonville FL. It looks as though there are many fishing opportunities there for me in my 190 Bay including the ICW, St. Johns river and several fresh water lakes. I was wondering if I have forgot anything and would welcome comment. I guess the off shore possibilities would be limited do to the shallow water outside St. Johns inlet. Does anyone know how far I might be able to venture out down around St. Augustine and what fish would I catch.
Thanks for any help.
JR

Looks like you are moving to a place where the weather does not get as cold in the winter months. That should equal more boating and fishing opportunities. It might be time to move up to a 210 CC, especially with all that water to play in.

Vic in Osprey FL

JR,
Out of St. Augy inlet you can expect to see Kingfish and Tarpon within close proximity to shore. It drops off quick over on that side of the state. There are several reefs within 8-10 miles of land that hold red snapper and grouper, but pick your days to go out. It's never worth taking a chance, the fish will be there another day. If you trailer up to the Mayport ramp and go out to the St. John's jetties, you'll find bull redfish, cobia, and sheepshead. The Matanzas river is a good tidal river area that offers good shallow water fishing. Areas of the St. John's as well. Go to www.floridasportsman.com and order yourself a map of the Jacksonville and St. Augustine areas and you'll see that there are numerous areas to get your hook bit. Good luck on the move and welcome to the hurricane country. Reminds me, pick yourself up a good set of tie-downs before you get here :wink:

Back