Oil Sheen

I feel your pain, as you know I recently went through a VERY large repair bill on my motor, for just plain lousy design. Might be best for you in the long run to repwoer with new motor. Good luck on your quest.

I'll keep the update going after my conversation with Suzuki and I'm keeping the fingers and toes crossed that they can come to some sort of a speedy resolution to this as I'm (as well as the wife) are ready to pull the trigger on just re-powering the boat with a different manufacturer as I have just a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with Suzuki right now but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

So what kind of feedback has Suzuki given to you thus far?

BN,

I hope Suzuki will help you out since you have been taking for a ride; however, it seems many people forget what a warranty is.

A warranty on a product states that the company will repair or replace their product when there is a defect in manufacturing, materials or engineering. There is usually stated time limit and, depending on the type of warranty, labor may not be included.

For example, if someone were to purchase a new car and did not change the oil at recommended intervals the engine would not last too long. It that a warranty issue? I would say no because it's the responsibility of the buyer to follow the service interval of the manufacturer.

However, if the car had been serviced at regular intervals, and for example the oil pump was defective, then that would be a manufacturer defect and a warranty repair.

Boat engines don't go bad from sitting. It's true that rubber parts will deteriorate over time, but even then, it should not have caused your problem. If the rings were sticking due to not running for a long time, the signs would include burning of oil (oil leaking past the rings) and low compression. Sometimes something as simple as Ring Free can be run through the engine and that may correct your problem.

I have a feeling that the previous owner just did not service the boat properly and unfortunately, you are paying for that.

As it turns out, I decided to repower the boat as I have not heard anything from Suzuki, I might as well thrown $900 into the wind for the lower unit repair. I took it to my dealer, who as it seems is more thorough than the last mechanic, and their suggestion was to repower. They told me that they could replace the power head but I would still have an '05 motor and no warranty. The oil sheen was apparently from a bad crank shaft seal, which I had suspected. I ordered an '11 Mercury Verado that will hopefully be in the shop within 2 to 4 weeks, having major withdrawls not being on the water. I can only surf fish for so long, the tropical depressions have been making it real tough and I'm looking forward to getting back out and catching some real fish. Kingfish, sharks and skates are getting boring! I had a Mercury Optimax 115 on my last boat and had zero problems with it other than having to keep an eye on the oil. Not looking forward to the break in period again but it seems like a minor inconvenience compared to my current situation. I hope Suzuki will respond and hopefully offer some sort of resolution as I will sell the motor or maybe even put it towards the balance on the new motor. They're taking my '07 bass boat as trade so it's a little easier to swallow thw bill for the new motor. The lesson I learned above it all was to take it to my dealer from now on as they have taken care of me for 5 years now. So if you find yourself in Delaware and have boat issues take it to Carlisle's Marine in Smyrna and talk to Doc or Rick (the owners) and tell them Vince sent you. DO NOT go to Beach Marine in Lewes as he will rip you off. Will keep everyone updated as to what's happening. Thanks.

Sounds like a case of trying to get the best out of a bad situation, and repowering is a good option.

There may be an option to repower less painfully:

Why not consider writing to the warranty/support department of Suzuki (via email because it is much faster) and copying in national marketing manager, the Suzuki USA CEO and an appropriate trade-authority (some serious sounding department in Washington would be good, such as "President of the Japanese USA trade authority").

The email should express your "disappointment" that such a well-regarded and "usually" well-supported product such as Suzuki should fail so quickly and that your correspondence on matter has been completely ignore. It should go on to say something like "Suzuki is generally known as a company that has pride in its products and cares about its customers, but something has gone seriously wrong in this case with both your product and customer support. Contrary to the advice of the many people in my international boat club, before replacing my Suzuki with a Yamaha, I would like to give Suzuki the opportunity to address the situation".

My experience is that expressing "disappointment" rather than anger or frustration, introducing the name of competitor and the fear of widespread loss of goodwill, plus raising the prospect of government complaints, and alerting the CEO usually gets good results... senior executives in corporations respond best to the "disappointed but loyal customer." This approach has certainly worked well for (and against) me - and emails are quick and cheap.

It probably won't get you a free new motor, but it may get you a much cheaper repower.

Good luck

As I have stated before "your wallet naturally" but spending 11k on a new engine to replace a crank seal (now that we know the root cause) on a engine with only 240 hours seems a little extreme to me.

Nor would I go through some expensive rebuild and or power head replacement to replace this seal either. As long as the engine has good compression (would like to see those figures) this would be on the level of putting in a new engine in your car over a head gasket or rear main seal leak that has 30,000 miles. This is not a condition of rapid metal wear or a weak casting, it is a simple seal failure from what I read.

My only concern would be that condition of the metal surfaces that the seal must rest against and would have some gamble factor involved until it is broken down and inspected. Here again, even a new power head (which I doubt is needed) is more cost effective than re-powering the boat.

I think what happens in many of these kinds of cases is the wild emotion factor of having to spend X and go through this and that in what this shops says, etc, when in fact we have just found the true root cause of the issue and not to be play it down, but all over a 10 dollar (50 cents to make over in China) seal ;)

So do what you feel is best, but I would have a compression test ran to make sure the internals are in good shape and if so, have the seal replaced would be my best advise. The only X factor would be the actual condition of the (so called) rebuilt lower unit. Here again anything (even new) can break at any time, but some time spent running the unit (shake down cruse) near shore in case of trouble would give you renewed confidence in the engine after those repairs.

As far as the OEM goes, I doubt they will give you much help on a blown seal, but stranger things have happened in the interest of Customer Satisfaction so I would not count them out nor would I hold my breath... I would see though if that seal has gone through a part number change which "could" indicate improvement of the seal design and materials from past failures. I would also Google Suzuki Outboard main seal failures (and related search word combos) and see if others have been through such. Those results "may" give you some added ammo when talking to the OEM.

Feel free to send me a PM with your number and we can discuss this in real time if needed :D

Best,

As I stated previously, my dealer did run a compression test when I brought it to him, the other "repair" shop did not. According to my guy, he said that the Suzuki should be somewhere in the low 200's but 1 did not even make it into the 150's and the other 2 were farther below that. Only 1 cylinder was where it should be. This is on top of the seal failure. Thinking back now, when I got it back from the lower unit rebuild, me, my neighbor, our gear and 3/4 tank of fuel we used to able to hit 32 to 34 MPH and after the rebuild we couldn't even hit 22 MPH. Unfortunately for me it seems that I got hit with the perfect storm of break downs. As for emailing Suzuki, they have no email link on there site that I saw, that's why I had to send it snail mail. I've been told that they don't move too fast there so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Have you tried just calling them? I found this on their website here ;)

Suzuki Marine - About Suzuki - Contact Us

Should you have a situation that you believe requires American Suzuki's immediate assistance you may call our Customer Service Dept. at 714-572-1490. Customer service representatives are available from 8:30AM to 5:00PM PST, Monday through Friday, to assist you.
or
4) Put your inquiry in a letter, including copies of all relevant documents (service records, etc.). Include the manufacturer's identification tag number, your full name, mailing address, and day/evening phone numbers. Send via U.S. mail to:
<li class="red">American Suzuki Marine Customer Service
P.O. BOX 1100
Brea, CA 92822

Back