Painting Trolling Motor

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
I've been avoiding this for a couple of years but time has come to strip and paint my Minn Kota Riptide. This is a 2001 edition which has mostly aluminum but has a steel top plate arm. The steel actually has faired better than the aluminum which you can see the paint "bubbling" beneath. The steel has some rust spots but nothing thru the plate.

The plan is to strip, sand/remove corrosion, prime/paint with RUST BULLET black.

Heard good things about "Rust Bullet" and hope it does the job!

Random thought but on my minnkota the top white plastic was really yellowed. I took some fine grit sand paper and lightly sanded it and went right back to white. Just thought I throw that out there in case yours was yellowing.

HTR

Mines an older model, all black, no white. The paint just flakes right off in sheets as big as a leaf. I see they finally went with all anodized aluminum now. The bolts/screws which all are stainless are locked into the seats and I can't loosen even with an impact wrench!

I would highly suggest that if you have one, to coat all bolt threads with some waterproof grease when newer cause they ain't comming out down the road and makes for difficult access to paint.

Well, couldn't get any bolts out even with an impact wrench. So, removed all paint, sanded with 150 grit, applied Rust Bullet Metal Blaster (phosophoric Acid bare metal prep) which is a must for the aluminum. Washed off, dried and applied 2 coats (10 h dry time between) of Black Rust Bullet.

HTR, I was wronge as I have a white plastic top cover on the handle/eclectronics part. I'll try that sandpaper. What do you think, 2000 grit?

I'll get some pics together and post in MY PHOTOS.

OK, looking good now but painting aluminum just doesn't seem long lasting. Thinking, next time, paint with original Rust Bullet then 2nd coat with Black Rust Bullet due to the durability and bonding strength. Heck, put it in salt water long enough and you will be painting it again!

Back