Potential buyer, 2002 Triumph

D

Dirtdobber

Folks,

Thanks for this board, I have enjoyed looking at the posts.

Currently considering a 2002 Triumph 170DC which has approximately 45 hours on it which is being sold through the original owner. I have spoken to the original owner and he sounded knowledgeable about the boat and through our conversation, I felt like he took care of it.

It includes a 75HP Honda 4 stroke, bimini top, all cushions, hummingbird fish finder, and of course the OEM EZ trailer.

He is asking $9900, but on the phone he indicated he would knock $500 off the price. I was really trying to stay around $7000, but could afford to go as high as $8500. I realize there are several owners who have the center console version, but I believe the dual console version would serve our family recreational purposes better.

What should I look out for on the boat....what questions would you ask and what would I check on the boat/motor/trailer if you were in my shoes?

What is a reasonable price for the boat?

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks,

Chad

170dc

Sounds like a decent buy. Have you checked NADA guides for re-sale. Was the boat always in salt water? If ever in salt water-do they have the flushing equipment to prove it?

45 hours on a 2002 does'nt sound bad especially with the options. Offer him what you can afford and see what happens. Good luck. BP

Thanks for the replies. It is kind-of strange, I have been talking to other Triumph owners that have their boats for sale and all of them are either selling the boat to buy another Triumph, or because they don't have time to use it. Out of the folks I talked to, none of them were buying a different brand even if it was for justified reasons. Triumph has a strong following.....similar to owners of Toyota Landcruisers and Isuzu Troopers.

This particular boat has never seen salt water according to the owner. It has only been on Lake Hartwell.

Dirtdobber said:
Thanks for the replies. It is kind-of strange, I have been talking to other Triumph owners that have their boats for sale and all of them are either selling the boat to buy another Triumph, or because they don't have time to use it. Out of the folks I talked to, none of them were buying a different brand even if it was for justified reasons. Triumph has a strong following.....similar to owners of Toyota Landcruisers and Isuzu Troopers.

This particular boat has never seen salt water according to the owner. It has only been on Lake Hartwell.

If you've ever owned other boats (aluminum, fiberglass) and know what kind of maintenance you need to do to them or how easy (difficult) they are to modify to make them more user friendly, you will appreciate just how great a boat the Triumph is. Is it the perfect boat? Of course not. But I can say that mine is the perfect boat for me and my style of boating (fishing). It sounds like you've found a pretty good deal on a 2002 model. Take the plunge and find out for yourself why Triumph has a loyal following. Welcome to the family.

Back