Power Pole Updates, Tips, and Related shallow water anchor systems.

Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Now they have a 10 foot model (long way from my old 6 footer) so maybe it is time to consider an upgrade?;)

I though will not have a boat without one and though the manual ones like the WANG and Stick It anchor pins work... Hard to beat pushing a button on my remote to stake off or lift it up a little to slowly wind drift over a few feet while still up on the casting deck pitching a crankbait :cool:

Hey Dave,

I am not familiar with these - new or old models. Have never even seen these before now. Are they an anchor for sand/mud bottoms? Mounted on the bow? So a 10 foot model on my bow which is maybe 3' high would give you about 7' of max water depth to pin into sand/mud? Or am I just totally clueless as to what these are?

Dave, I've been looking at pole anchoring systems for over a year now, and your post is the straw the broke the camel's back. I just placed an order for the Stick It anchor pin.

That Pole Pole is way cool, that's for sure. But four things pushed me to the alternative:
1) Everywhere I fish in salt water has frequent wave action - I'll tether to the pole rather than hard mount
2) Price!!
3) Maintenance and more possible failure modes due to greater complexity
4) Price!!

Oh they are not cheap... but I think with the release of the Talon by Minn-Kota that will drive the price down now that shoppers have (which is always good) choices ;)

Never had any problem in the waves and mine once held both my 190 and a 23 foot Contender CC (my buddy is a Marine Officer) in place at the same time in some pretty good winds and chop while we were having a chat and lunch together.

I also only had one failure and that was the switch located up on the bow (Salt Water) which I now have the remote so it does not get used as much now that it was replaced. I also have / had a (now making it a third) control / power switch on the console :D

Now what I need to do and working with a company on such, is building a mounting system for a small one on the "trolling motor" to help keep the boat from swinging around in the wind. That will keep me from having to add (but is cool and works very well) second Power Pole :cool:

Last edited:
Swamp_Bear,

Please let me know how the Stick-It anchor pin works for you. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one as well. Looks like it will meet all my needs, and at a much more affordable price point too.

I would really like to know if the Stick-It pin (pole) could be used for "poling" a boat in flats/shallows. It's obviously not designed for it, but its not something I do very often in my 170DC. Just would be nice for getting into real shallow areas to sight fish for Reds and Trout.

Thanks!

Also Novangler don't forget about the WANG ;)

http://www.wanganchor.com/

(cute marketing angle that still cracks me up)

But if you need a push pole that does not take up a lot of space then this is your weapon of choice and you can always shove it into the sand and tie off from it.

http://www.thesuperstick.com/

Also send me a PM the next time you are headed to this side of the State, we will take the 190 out and chase some Reds and Trout sometime ;)

Last edited:
"Hang out with our Wang out" -- that is hilarious! :)

I wasn't aware of the "SuperStick." A collapsible push-pole is an excellent idea as well. Thanks for making my decision more difficult! ;) J/K of course.

Hey Putershark,

I am not familiar with these - new or old models. Have never even seen these before now. Are they an anchor for sand/mud bottoms? Mounted on the bow? So a 10 foot model on my bow which is maybe 3' high would give you about 7' of max water depth to pin into sand/mud? Or am I just totally clueless as to what these are?

Here you go Brother

Last edited:
And though I would love to have two Power Poles so I do not become a wind sock at times. The weight and cost for two of them are really hard to justify.

As such and for the Skiff I am thinking about using the bow mount system for the Wang to help prevent the bow from swinging around. More information on it can be found here:

http://wanganchor.com/product/bow-system/

And here if you already have a Wang (or other Anchor Pin) and just need to bow bracket here:

http://wanganchor.com/product/bow-bracket/

Power Pole by the way, is now into the Spike Market and now makes one and you can find them here:

http://www.power-pole.com/spikes

Tight Lines!
Dave

Another option for your Power Pole (aftermarket Anchor light) and I don't know how well it would hold up in Saltwater?

http://www.russellmarineproducts.com/category-s/561.htm

Just as important though is making sure you have the wiring harness routed correct with both enough slack to deploy it, but not too loose that it gets hung back up when retracted.

Here is the install video for the Blade model:

And for most other Power Pole Models:

I wonder if anybody though of using this as what we call a Snook Light? Deploy the Power Pole when fishing at night to attract bait fish, which then draws in the bigger ones ;)

If anyone installs one, let me know your results please :cool:

Tight Lines!
Dave

Now this is something I have done in the past by leaving a short lanyard tied for a forward cleat, and using as a connection point to either my Push Pole or smaller Stick It style anchor to help keep the bow from moving like a wind sock. CA does a great job showing such it in this short clip :D

In many cases and smaller micro Skiffs, one could pretty much get away with just using this type of anchor all the time and maybe save on the expense and weight a Power Pole system could add? ;) Now if you are like me though, once you go with a push button Power Pole system it is a hard habit to break for sure!

I personally have had this issue when I lost a hose fitting and system pressure at the same time, then it just wanted to fall all the time. I was lucky and had some smaller line to tie it up to a cleat and it worked to get her back on the trailer, but that was not the best of options... So I will have one of these for the next one and keep it on the Skiff for all uses and for long distance travel for sure!

And do let them know the guys from Performance Outdoors.Net sent you when you reach out to them!
Dave

Back