Genelie

Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Now I know some of you use a pressure washer at home to help fight off the tiny black dots. I personally use the one at the car wash at the end of each season. SO I ask you for those who have one at home. What size pressure washer do you use. I was looking into buying one, they range from, 1100 PSI, to 3000 PSI. with a price range from $ 169. to
$ 900.00

Good question,I am starting to see them on my 17',just bought it in december. I usually go to one of those do it yourself car washes after using the boat so I am wondering if I am just missing spots or how to get rid of the tiny black dots where they are showing up. Is the pressure not good enough at those car washes? It seems to be very strong wherever I take it.

I saw a 1350 psi pressure washer in Wal-Mart yesterday for $89.00.
Just thought I'd let you know.

If you're looking to buy one just to wash your boat then you can get by with a lower pressure model. But if you're like me and you want to buy one and use it to power wash your house, deck or driveway as well then you will need a more powerful one. First, forget the little electric ones...they're useless for household applications. I know, I have one. You will need a minimum of 2200 psi to do any household cleaning chores and would be better off opting for 2500 psi if your budget can handle it. Get a gas powered model and it should come with several spray nozzles. Use the wide pattern for close cleaning on your boat...be very careful with the concentrated stream nozzle...it can cut into whatever you are spraying if you get it too close. Shop around as prices vary greatly from store to store. Of course, this is only my opinion so take it as that. I hope this helps.

I have the 2200 psi and wish I Had more power for driveway and other things around the house. In my opinion get as big as you can afford but don't go under 2200 you will be wasting your money.

You will be surprized at what you can clean with one patio furniture, driveways ,siding decks, cars, lawnmowers, fence, sidewalks etc.

I Agree with KRS5, I also use a 2200psi power washer and I wish I had more power. just watch out for the decals on the side of the boat.

another good use is cleaning off the gas grill

I bought one of those Karcher electric ones from Costco it's 1600 psi ($139.00)and it works fine for the boat and the deck, I use a 50% strength solution of simple green and it makes the boat just sparkle like new.

Jan from Humboldt said:
I bought one of those Karcher electric ones from Costco it's 1600 psi ($139.00)and it works fine for the boat and the deck, I use a 50% strength solution of simple green and it makes the boat just sparkle like new.

wow, you see i was hoping someone would of posted that they bought anice simple electric one. I really do not need the big ones. since I am only going to use it for the boat. I will check out costco.

I went to Costco's website and everytime I put in a search for pressure washers I got washing machines. Go figure?

At Sam's Club website I did find a pressure washer by Karcher, the G 2500 gas powered, for $298.87. With more research on the Sam's site I found that it has a 5.5 HP Honda engine.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=325307

The last time I tried washing my boat at the car wash, it cost me a Shakespere antenna....a $115 mistake! I forgot to put the antenna down. It wasn't working out anyway cause the boat wasn't cleaning up well. Swinging that arm around inside the booth isn't practical either.

Good luck on your quest. I'm still questing.......

Putershark said:
I this model at Lowe's and it works very well for cleaning up the truck, boat, and trailer http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=68901-1637-1636121&lpage=none just be careful of those stickers for sure ;)

That looks like the ones I saw at costco and home depot. I like the convience of being able to actually putting it on the swim step, and work away. Thanks to all for the imput. I will do some more research on maitenance and warrenties.

I just bought the one that putershark recommended, and it worked great on the boat. Got rid of all those tiny black dots...as long as I held the nozzle within an inch or two of the boat.
But not all news is good news....My wife came home from work, saw me playing with the new pressure washer and had me do the deck. That worked fine too...got off some mold and mildew that was growing in the corners of the deck, and got the white real white again.

Great little machine for the money.

Thanks, putershark!

albaris said:
I just bought the one that putershark recommended, and it worked great on the boat. Got rid of all those tiny black dots...as long as I held the nozzle within an inch or two of the boat.
But not all news is good news....My wife came home from work, saw me playing with the new pressure washer and had me do the deck. That worked fine too...got off some mold and mildew that was growing in the corners of the deck, and got the white real white again.

Great little machine for the money.

Thanks, putershark!

awesome imput guys, and for the wife thing:p :p My deck is the artificial wood stuff, EXPENSIVE but worth it, All I need to do once in a while is hose off the dirt from the wind. No painting, no sealing, no more hot foot in the sun, gosh I could go on and on ...LOVE MY DECK>

Your are very welcome... You can also use this in the soap tank of the pressure washer as well http://www.saltawayproducts.com/ComboPage.htm if you boat in salt water to help blast it all away the salt from the hull and boat trailer. This or on your truck body and frame if you get stuck driving on roads up North that had salt applied to them to rid them of Ice and Snow :cool:

Well I finally broke down and bought one(Troy-bilt 2550psi). I do have one question, it says in the manual not to use normal house hold cleaning agents only those made for pressure washers. Is there any truth in that or will I damage my washer. I bought two gallons of simple green and now I am afraid to use it. I did my driveway with just water and it worked pretty good, I am just wondering how much cleaner I could get stuff with bleach or some other cleaning agent.

I've used Simple Green and straight bleach and never had a problem. When I'm done cleaning I run a gallon of fresh water through the cleaner intake just because I don't want the cleaner sitting and possibly reacting to any of the gaskets, etc. Just my 1/50 of a dollar.

I use Krud Kutter for EVERYTHING "Pressure Washer"!

Back