Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
A couple of weeks back while I was taking some great Thunderstorm / Sunset photos, I saw some Turkey Vultures (Buzzards) bunched around an old dock post about 200 yards or so away. Spin the camera around and zoomed in, and saw this...

DSCN1266.JPG

So when I got home I called FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) reported it and received a call back from one of our State's "Awesome" State Biologist Ana! I advised her on how and where I saw it, and then sent her the photos with a tip on how to right click on the picture file details see Lat and Long numbers of where I was standing so they could find it. Quite sure the Buzzards would make that pretty easy also ;)

Ana and I spoke more later on about and they used Kayak's to reach it and discovered how this animal was really too far decomposed to pull much information on the actual cause of death. Ana then sent me a nice email with some links to share here on the Site about Manatee's

She also noted:

"We encourage the public to report distressed or dead marine mammals to our FWC Wildlife Alert 888-404-3922 (press 7) in real time, take pictures or video, do not attempt to disentangle or intervene, and stay with the injured animal until our biologists call back." I also discovered that Cellular phone customers can use: *FWC or #FWC to reach them which makes easy to remember.

So again my thanks to Ana at the FWC for taking her time to follow up with me and sharing more information on this topic. Her and I have been discussing doing an interview that we can post here on the Site as soon as our respective schedule's will allow, and I am really looking forward to that! :cool:

And be careful when operating your Skiff or Boat in known Manatee zones. Prop strikes are still a major cause of concern to help ensure they will be here for our Grandchildren to also enjoy seeing :D

636265569480864079-FloridaManatee-USFWS-FPWC.jpg

Blessings,
Dave

Where Can I See Manatees in Florida?

Now that it is cooler and we have to actually wear socks now o_O Miss Ana from the FWC sent me over a link that has some great information on this subject and some locations:

We are going to be working more often with Ana from the FWC in the future on this topic, and has she has denoted with us in the past...

"We encourage the public to report distressed or dead marine mammals to our FWC Wildlife Alert 888-404-3922 (press 7) in real time, take pictures or video, do not attempt to disentangle or intervene, and stay with the injured animal until our biologists call back." I also discovered that Cellular phone customers can use: *FWC or #FWC to reach them which makes it easy to remember.

Enjoy!
Dave

Our favorite Marine Mammal Research Biologist at the FWC (Ana) sent me over a interesting link on what to look for in distressed Manatee's which now that is it a tad chilly here... Much less, we have been fighting with another Red Tide bloom in SWFL (trust me the headaches I get from them at times are no fun) to help you help in identifying when they could be in trouble and need to report it to FWC should see this link:

We here at Performance Outdoors are working with Ana from the FWC on this topic (stay tuned for more) and has she has denoted with us in the past...

"We encourage the public to report distressed or dead marine mammals to our FWC Wildlife Alert 888-404-3922 (press 7) in real time, take pictures or video, do not attempt to disentangle or intervene, and stay with the injured animal until our biologists call back." I also discovered that Cellular phone customers can use: *FWC or #FWC to reach them which makes it easy to remember.

Hope this helps in your education on this topic, and make sure you share it with your children and grand children who may have an interest in Marine Mammal Research! And remember, keep an eye out when on the water boating here in Central and South Florida for them :)

Enjoy!
Dave

Back