Rubbermaid trough - test tank for running outboard

agereety

Participating Member
City
Framingham
I like to fire up my outboard in my yard. I used to try and run my outboards in a trash barrel. This was a nightmare. When I trim the motor up and down - I realized that I needed an elongated tank. I live across the street from a farm, and I saw the Rubbermaid troughs that they use . They are black plastic and have a drain plug in the bottom. Years ago, I bought one from an Agway , and it worked well for running my outboard. I am not a fan of the ear muff/hose thing. Anyway, I forgot that I had this thing, and I decided to see if my 150 E-tec would fit in it. It worked like a charm. The height of the trough and the length allows me to run the motor and trim it up and down. It also allows me to trim the motor up high enough to simply pull the boat forward. Then I just push the trough over on its side if I want to empty the water out.

Got any pictures and prices?
I cannot use a muff on my lower unit since I have a low water pickup and my water intake is in the nose cone, so that may work very well for me :D

agereety,
You should be able to attach your garden hose right to your Etec. I think the fitting is right by the water outlet.

M I M

Hooking up hose directly to E-tec

Thank you for that info. about hooking up the hose directly to the E-tec, Mike - I am going to check that out. On a side note, Mike - in the spirit of "there's no such thing as a stupid question" - would you happen to know how to remove the cowl on the 150? My crew is comprised of mostly non-boaters, and we've all tried to remove it without success. I see that there's 3 clamps, but I still can't get it off. The last time I saw my powerhead was at the dealership. I sure would like to see it again.

I may be wrong and usually am ,but I thought the connection on the engine is for flushing the engine with out it running . i was told no water is fed to the lower unit water pump if the motor is running and that this connection is for back flushing the powerhead only and water drains out thru lower unit

No, you can run them on the flush port, just not above a idle so the lower unit impeller does not pull in any air ;)

I like the tank idea though, this so I can run the engine a little faster so I can get the thermostats to open up and really get it all flushed out :D

I used a large garbage can to flush mine,and figure several things.
That the garbage can was a pain to move after filled and the only way to dump it was to hook up pullout and hope the thing would fall off. :) . that being said I think I will get one of those rubbermaid tubs. If you run an out board in a tub the water hats up and gee in the kitchen sink hot water cleans better than cold water.(breaks salt deposits better). and two the exhaust contains oil in it that I think helps lube the water impeller that other wise would never get any and would help prevent it from drying out from the air...

Thank you for that info. about hooking up the hose directly to the E-tec, Mike - I am going to check that out. On a side note, Mike - in the spirit of "there's no such thing as a stupid question" - would you happen to know how to remove the cowl on the 150? My crew is comprised of mostly non-boaters, and we've all tried to remove it without success. I see that there's 3 clamps, but I still can't get it off. The last time I saw my powerhead was at the dealership. I sure would like to see it again.

Gulp, not sure. I've got 170 hours on my "07" 150hp Etec, no need to take the cowl off. The engine has proven everything that they have said about it and more I'm glad I got it.

M I M

150 E-tec

I am pleased to hear that your E-tec is running well. I am very impressed with mine, as well. I saw my dealer running my E-tec with the hose/ear muffs, but I didn't look closely at the time. Regarding getting the cowl off - if I find out how to do it - I'll post my findings here.

photo of Rubbermaid trough in member galleries under agereety

I just posted a photo of the Rubber maid trough in the photo gallery/member galleries under agereety. Thank you ,Randy, for the uploading photos tutorial link. - Andrew

Me, no was just updating a few older threads and closing the loop for those who may not want to dig around for hours in some photo album and just added it.

Try pulling some forum audits at times and see if they can be consider "closed" (meaning the question was basically answered) I know of one guy (me) who would appreciate the help ;)

Question? What store can you purchase the tub at? Tractor Supply? or some other farm type of store? I have tried a number of different plastic trash cans and non-rubber made tubs, but could not locate one that was big enough or deep enough for what we need.

Question? What store can you purchase the tub at? Tractor Supply? or some other farm type of store? I have tried a number of different plastic trash cans and non-rubber made tubs, but could not locate one that was big enough or deep enough for what we need.

Tractor Supply should have several sizes that you can choose from.

Back