Suzuki DF 50 trims down but not up

krieserk

Registered Member
City
South Yarmouth
Today I attempted to winterize my 200 Suzuki DF50. All went fine until I tried to trim the motor up for work on the lower unit. The up trim worked fine just minutes before. The trim down still works. There is a clicking in the front of the motor when trying to trim up. Sounds like a relay. The battery is fine. Your input is appreciated.

It usually is a relay gone bad when this sort of thing happens to a Suzuki, and as strange as it sounds, it's almost always the opposite relay that has gone bad. In other words, since it will not trim/tilt up, it's the down relay that's likely gone bad. This has been discussed on the Suzuki Outboard Forum a number of times.

Mike, Thanks, now I just need to find the relay. Do you think it is the one clicking. Ken

Mike, Thanks, now I just need to find the relay. Do you think it is the one clicking. Ken

I don't know for sure, Ken. I've not had any problems at all with my DF150 (yet). And although, folks on the Suzuki site refer to separate relays for up and down, according to my service manual, the DF150/175 series has only one relay, a double pole that controls both up and down. i can scan and upload the diagnostics from the DF150 manual it you think it'll help you.

Last edited:
On a old Johnson motor I had years ago the relays (2) were near the top of the engine?

Only other thing I can remember is green wire is always down (Grass) on a trim blue is up (sky)

Back