S1000 Auopilot questions

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
Had the boat out running through the functions of the S1000 which is NMEA linked to the Humminbird 1197 and I had some issues. I've emailed Raymarine, but no reply yet. Maybe some of you have some input.
1. When I'm only navigating to a single waypoint I use mode to choose "Track" and press pilot and it reverts back to 'Standby'. If I put the waypoint in a 'Route' and try it, it asks for confirmation, I push Pilot and it couples fine. It will lock on a heading in Auto with no problem. Just not in 'Track' using a single 'GoTo' waypoint. Has anyone be able to lock on to a waypoint without using a route?
2. The remote has a 'Setup' choice that is "Autolearn". But nowhere in the operators manual or anywhere can I find the procedure for the Autolearn function or what it does. Yet in the manual it states to run "Autolearn" procedure before changing any 'settings'.
I have some 'overturning' and 'late turns' issues that I feel the Autolearn might fix.
As usual the owners manuals are grossly incomplete.:eek:

Had the boat out running through the functions of the S1000 which is NMEA linked to the Humminbird 1197 and I had some issues. I've emailed Raymarine, but no reply yet. Maybe some of you have some input.
1. When I'm only navigating to a single waypoint I use mode to choose "Track" and press pilot and it reverts back to 'Standby'. If I put the waypoint in a 'Route' and try it, it asks for confirmation, I push Pilot and it couples fine. It will lock on a heading in Auto with no problem. Just not in 'Track' using a single 'GoTo' waypoint. Has anyone be able to lock on to a waypoint without using a route?
2. The remote has a 'Setup' choice that is "Autolearn". But nowhere in the operators manual or anywhere can I find the procedure for the Autolearn function or what it does. Yet in the manual it states to run "Autolearn" procedure before changing any 'settings'.
I have some 'overturning' and 'late turns' issues that I feel the Autolearn might fix.
As usual the owners manuals are grossly incomplete.:eek:

lol, I feel your frustration.

Ok, what Autolearn does is run your boat through a series of "S" turns to learn the handling characteristics of your boat. Make sure you have a good clear space to run in, get the boat up on a plane at minimum speed, and engage the Autolearn function. Let the AP take over. If you need to disengage the AP during this process, press "Stby" and it will cancel the program. you will see a confirmation message when the Autolearn process is complete. You can then adjust your settings from there.

As for the issue of navigation to a single waypoint. How are you executing the "Go To" on the GPS? Is it a "go to Cursor" type thing or are you selecting it from your waypoint list or both? This will help narrow down the cause of the problem.

BTW, I'm a raymarine certified installer/service tech if you have any other Raymarine questions. And I'm jealous of your 1197 :D

Thanks Pama,
On the waypoint, I am selecting it from a list of waypoints, activating navigation and then pressing mode on the remote until Track appears and then pressing Pilot. It just reverts back to Standby. Haven't tried it as a GoTo the cursor yet.

Thanks Pama,
On the waypoint, I am selecting it from a list of waypoints, activating navigation and then pressing mode on the remote until Track appears and then pressing Pilot. It just reverts back to Standby. Haven't tried it as a GoTo the cursor yet.

Ok, and this is the same way you are navigating routes correct?

(Think I'm on to the problem, just want to confirm somethings)

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a Autopilot question for you PA.
I would like to put a Raymarine Autopilot on my 195cc mainly for control while trolling. I will troll at speeds down to 1.3 mph. I will use trolling bags (similar to drift socks or sea anchors but very heavy duty) on both sides to slow the boat down to this speed, I actually have to throttle up slightly from an idle to get 1.3 mph. This helps the stearing respond better at slowwer speeds due to the increased thrust at the prop.
Raymarines website reccomends the ST70 Control Head, and the Smart Pilot X-5 Sport Core Pack.
I have a Honda BF135 on my 195cc, which of course has hydraulic steering.
The million dollar question is do you think this system can do what I'm asking of it?
Thanks,
Roger

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a Autopilot question for you PA.
I would like to put a Raymarine Autopilot on my 195cc mainly for control while trolling. I will troll at speeds down to 1.3 mph. I will use trolling bags (similar to drift socks or sea anchors but very heavy duty) on both sides to slow the boat down to this speed, I actually have to throttle up slightly from an idle to get 1.3 mph. This helps the stearing respond better at slowwer speeds due to the increased thrust at the prop.
Raymarines website reccomends the ST70 Control Head, and the Smart Pilot X-5 Sport Core Pack.
I have a Honda BF135 on my 195cc, which of course has hydraulic steering.
The million dollar question is do you think this system can do what I'm asking of it?
Thanks,
Roger

I doubt it will even engage tbh. Typically the vessel needs to be going at least 3 knots (abt 3.5mph) for the pilot to operate.

From what I've seen with the new x systems, this is still true.

Pama,
For a Route I select the waypoints from a list and enter them into a route, then activate the route navigation. After pressing Pilot in Track, the Route method always asks for conformation by pressing Pilot again. It works everytime. But the single waypoint just won't accept. I was reading some tech info on Raymarine's website and it said to steer as close to the waypoint course, then engage the autopilot in 'Auto' first......then choose track and press Pilot........Could this be the solution?? The manual does not say it that way, but Hey....what else is new.

Pama,
For a Route I select the waypoints from a list and enter them into a route, then activate the route navigation. After pressing Pilot in Track, the Route method always asks for conformation by pressing Pilot again. It works everytime. But the single waypoint just won't accept. I was reading some tech info on Raymarine's website and it said to steer as close to the waypoint course, then engage the autopilot in 'Auto' first......then choose track and press Pilot........Could this be the solution?? The manual does not say it that way, but Hey....what else is new.

The S1000 (and in fact all Raymarine AP's) are designed so that they can go straight into a track mode without first having to engage the AP.

If that does work then that would confirm the problem is in the AP, so it doesn't hurt to try.

I'm still trying to confirm the exact sentences that the S1000 uses. Sometimes you just can't get a person on the phone that even knows enough to install the things, never mind troubleshoot em.:D

I hear ya, Pama. I did check the sentences that the S1000 needs and my Humminbird does provide them all. I guess I will just do some more sea trials with it. Thanks for your imput.

Pamarine,

here's what I found on the Raymarine Website.
Waypoint Navigation with Autopilot and Chartplotter
trnsp.gif
Question I have a Raymarine chart plotter (Pathfinder) system interfaced with Raymarine instruments. How do I steer toward a waypoint so I am interfaced with the autopilot. Do I use the "Track" feature on the autopilot after I have indicated "Go to" a waypoint on the chart plotter?
trnsp.gif
Answer First, you will need to select a waypoint or route on your chart plotter as your destination. Once you have done this, and started the chart plotter tracking using the GOTO key, you will need to start the autopilot.

The prudent mariner will hand steer the vessel to within about 10 degrees of the intended course line, to prevent any radical motion of the boat which might knock passengers overboard, or create a collision situation with the traffic around you.

Once you are close to your intended track line, and your rudder is amidships, press the AUTO key on the autopilot. The pilot will lock onto the current course. At that point, press the TRACK (or NAV on some models) key. the pilot will pause momentarily as it looks for the presence of a destination on the network, and calculates the course it must steer. The pilot will alarm, and will indicate visually on screen the direction it intends to turn (port or starboard), and the course it will be turning to. You should verify that there is no danger of collision or grounding in that direction, and when ready, press the TRACK key again. Now, the autopilot is in control, and will steer to the bearing and cross-track-error information sent to it by the GPS or chart plotter.

Pamarine,

here's what I found on the Raymarine Website.
Waypoint Navigation with Autopilot and Chartplotter
trnsp.gif
Question I have a Raymarine chart plotter (Pathfinder) system interfaced with Raymarine instruments. How do I steer toward a waypoint so I am interfaced with the autopilot. Do I use the "Track" feature on the autopilot after I have indicated "Go to" a waypoint on the chart plotter?
trnsp.gif
Answer First, you will need to select a waypoint or route on your chart plotter as your destination. Once you have done this, and started the chart plotter tracking using the GOTO key, you will need to start the autopilot.

The prudent mariner will hand steer the vessel to within about 10 degrees of the intended course line, to prevent any radical motion of the boat which might knock passengers overboard, or create a collision situation with the traffic around you.

Once you are close to your intended track line, and your rudder is amidships, press the AUTO key on the autopilot. The pilot will lock onto the current course. At that point, press the TRACK (or NAV on some models) key. the pilot will pause momentarily as it looks for the presence of a destination on the network, and calculates the course it must steer. The pilot will alarm, and will indicate visually on screen the direction it intends to turn (port or starboard), and the course it will be turning to. You should verify that there is no danger of collision or grounding in that direction, and when ready, press the TRACK key again. Now, the autopilot is in control, and will steer to the bearing and cross-track-error information sent to it by the GPS or chart plotter.

Good advice re: steering apprx. course before engaging, but otherwise outdated.

Your pilot is designed to go from stdby to track at the push of a button without ever having to engage the manual auto mode. But really that's niether here nor there. Also a raymarine Pilot interfaced via seatalk is a different animal than one relying on a NMEA input.

Anyhoo, what it honestly sound like is the chartplotter is formatting the AP sentences differently based on whether it is a route or a single goto. Your S1000 is having no trouble reading the route sentence, but doesn't recognise the single goto as valid. There could be any number of reasons for this.

Luckily, you are still using NMEA0183, which is R232 compatible (serial on a PC) and you can actually log the NMEA output from the Chartplotter using Hyperterminal. This would give you an indication of whether or not there was corrupted sentences coming from the chartplotter.

Back