Savannah Advice

SavannahJoe

Registered Member
City
Savannah
I just got a 191 Fish and Ski and I want to take it out in view of the shore and a little ways up the Savannah River. I normally fished for bass and catfish in fresh water in the past. Being that I live near the Ocean now it is time to broaden my horizons. Any advice? Location? Bait?

Thanks.

going from fresh water to salt is a large step when it comes to the operation of your boat and the type of bait and where to fish its like night and day. best thing i can tell you is to do a lot of reading on the subject and maybe take someone that has been in salt water before with the frist few times and allso is your motor made for salt water might want to fine that out too .... but it is so large of a subject it hard to answers you in a forum like this....... hope this helps

Got it

I have some experience boating in coastal regions. I am familiar with how tides effect the waterways and the hazards of coastal navigation. I've just never really fished there. All my techniques are fresh water. Of course I could drop a shrimp to the ocean floor and see what bites, but I'd rather have a strategy.

SJ,
I've fished all around this great country of ours and in a few others on different continents. On thing I found out is that fish are fish...they all look for the same things. They look for places to ambush prey and some place to hide. Whether it's bass hiding under a fallen log or a redfish lurking in a current break around an oyster bar or a dolphin (Mahi-Mahi) hanging around some floating vegetation, they're after the same thing...food and security.

Learn about what species you have in your paticular waters and take what you know and apply it to your new surroundings. Eventually, you'll put the pieces of the puzzle together and be rewarded for your efforts.

Tight lines.

joe with your experience in boating costal waters that than is the most important part of fishing being safe now all you need to do is to fine out what type of fish you want to target and find out about their feeding habbits and you have it made. i dont know if any of us fisherman have a good strategy a lot of it is just luck some times. my self i target fish i like to eat redfish spanish grupper and of couse target fish that are in the range of your boat too.. but you all ready have a good strategy, drop a shrimp to the bottom and see whats bitting. there is nothing wrong with that strategy.there so meany types of salt water fish out there that feed on all types of baits and all types of ways to catch them from trolling to top water to live bait on the bottom. even some of you bass jigs and top water plugs will catch them. the best way to learn is to get out there with them and go for it..good luck

Back