Some additional safety

Push&Pull

Recognized Leader Triumph 210 / 215 Forum
City
Florida City
State
Florida
I figured my odds go down as I continue to use my single engine boat far offshore ( especially with this ethanol crud). In the past I've been used to the security of twin engines. After evaluating the limitations of both VHF and cellular communications, and the fact that my Epirb is primarily for life threatening emergencies, I opted for some additional intermediate safety.
I just added a SPOT II GPS unit to my goodie bag. This GPS unit will allow for satellite messaging for routine checks with designated contacts anywhere and also direct summoning of specific Tow Services for engine failures or such and even SOS emergency calls to the Coast Guard too. For the towing, I use the direct link to Boat US Towing service. There is even a feature for tracking your position anytime via online for the landlubbers back home worried while we're out 'n' about. The unit, the service and the tow membership are cheaper than one tow from a random company (if you could even reach them). There's also the situation of being too far offshore and having to use my Epirb for a non-emergency. USCG frowns on non life threatening calls and I don't want to be in the middle of any unknown outcome when they arrive. I've heard stories of picking up the occupants and abandoning the vessel adrift. Whatever, it's cheap peace of mind.
Just food for thought guys. Can't have too much safety equipment. ;)

Back