Spring in Florida with a 190 Bay

David V

Registered Member
City
Dunnellon
Hello, recently moved from Mtn. of NC and bought a 02 190 Bay. I thank the dealer for intro to 'Plastic" boat to sway me away from Sea Ark which the wife would have hated. Needed LOW maint. and durable because we bought a home on a dammed lake and in Florida means riddled with stumps and submerged rocks. This last weekend windy and choppy lost beanbag out the stern and retrieved as quick as possible but the beanbag was two, yes 2 feet out of marked channel and I hit a underwater stump just port of center going slow, but now I also LOVE this boat. In addition, 10 year old grandchild learning to drive hit stump dead on week earlier chip out of prop.. New SS prop great. She was also only a few feet out of markers.

Anyway, this location with the access to Gulf on other side of dam the V-hall and everything that I'm so far loving about this boat (enjoying every boats wake in my way) looking forward to trips out in the gulf for some rock and roll. I would not feel the same if I stayed with my first thought on "sea Ark". Long time sailing new to power boats and have quite a few questions and mods would like to do. Will ask the most pressing issue today.

Both port and starboard seem to have what I thought were injection (Or removing from the factory mold) seams to the outside and stern seats by the scuppers in the corners that collects everything. The starboard side now has a small crack that takes in water (slowly) when washing and may be falling below the waterline when three people are standing in that corner. Once underway water diminishes. Also, Looks like a 3-1/2" round hole was also cut from the outside of the hull to this location on the inside. I've been looking in hatches and water does not stay but annoying while family is aboard and swimming off the stern. Sorry I'm long winded. Hope understandable. Is there a way to surface patch this with two part epoxy or whatever. Thanks for any clue or direction from other posts. David V

Just read a long post on my question about water where it seems it should not be with the scupper problem and think that most likely this boat had side scuppers (3-1/2" holesaw ) and previous owner changed to transom with ball prevent. I assume that the corners ARE rough because of the molding process. I will walmart golf balls sound like a winner. Thanks for a great site to start figuring stuff out and this time by myself.

David, Welcome aboard! Are you asking about patching the Roplene Triumph hull? One of the great things about this boat is the ability to weld plastic. We have a long section of our Maintenance and Modifications DVD on how to weld Roplene.

Back