Throttle Tension ?

rageous

Participating Member
Premium Member
State
CO
Hello again,
This question is about my throttle tension, it seems (to me) hard to shift between F N R and I was wondering if there is an adjustment for that. I have a 2002 Bay 190 with a Yamaha F115.
Thanks for any and all help/ replies.
Mike

On the throttle (binnacle) control box, usually toward the bottom, there will be a recessed screw. It's a tensioner. The screw is a little tight so the throttle stays put at speed. But that makes for a hard shift. Loosening it makes for an easy shift, but often one has to hold the throttle while running.

Play with the adjustment until it suits you.

There is always the possibility that the throttle cable is aging and should be replaced, but I would think the tensioner screw would be your first and most likely culprit.

And the factory throttle cables were just poor. And brand new set of the gray colored teleflex cables that you can tie into a knot and they still work for your control box are much better!

You just need a set that works with your Yamaha throttle and shift control box which I suspect is, a 704 model? The number should be on the cover...

s-l1000.jpg

If the tensioner does not solve the issue, look at new cables. I have been living with sticky cables for several years now. Replacing them this year on my 2004 210CC with Suzuki O/B. I know for sure it isn't the tensioner.

Back