Trailer problems...

shell

Registered Member
City
Hawthorn Woods
I'd thought i would share (and vent a little!) with my trailer problems...

I own a 170 sportsman, 2011 model, purchased new in spring of 2012.

Summer 2012: The original tires were crap, wore out in 3 months.

Summer 2013: I noticed one tire didn't look square on the trailer. At first I didn't see anything wrong then it get noticeably worse. I then discovered the the axle at the end had a stress crack! luckily I caught it in time before it did any serious damage!

Spring 2014: I noticed my boat was not sitting level on the trailer. I originally thought I just loaded it off center. the next trip it seemed worse. I found that the bunk brackets on one side were both collapsed! I looked up the bracket model number and found out you must buy shorlandr parts only thru a dealer. I then found out that my manual shows a U shaped bracket, but I had an L shaped brackets installed! My shorelandr dealer thinks since it was a packaged trailer with Triumph, they cut corners on some parts. L shaped vs U shape bracket is 1/2 the strength. I'm curious if any other 170 owners have the L brackets too?

I would consider myself an avid angler. I travel and tow the boat very often. I would assume that most Triumph owners don't tow and travel as much. Triumph insist you use there package shorlandr trailer due to bunk support. It doesn't seem like they made sure the trailer was capable of being used much... Now I have to wait 10 days for replacement brackets to show up...

Maybe the trailer was damaged during shipment. Yes these are problems more likely to occur with a older trailer.

Look over the trailer carefully when the boat is not on it. Look for off center bunks or suspension components. Also look for rusty, worn or broken bunk or suspension components that could fail when trailering. They are not expensive or difficult to repair.

Make sure the boats sits centered and evenly supported when on the trailer. The trailer for a triumph is a fairly precise fit to evenly support the triumphs flexible plastic/foam hull and prevent cracking or damage.

Bunk support diagrams are on the website if you have any questions.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Both of the Triumphs that I have owned have come on EZ Loader trailers and the only complaint that I've ever had was that the trailer brake calipers for my 215 were manufactured by 3 different companies. So I had to order them thru EZ Loader and pay much more than my local trailer supply company.

I have a 2012 170CC on a 2012 Shorelander trailer. I bought it new this spring as a "leftover" from Atlantic Marine in Wareham, MA. So far I have no trailer issues, and I am loving the boat and the fishing I can do on it. I have had the boat out a dozen times, but I do have the luxury of living within 6 miles of the three ramps I use most. Shell, when you talk of U-shaped bunk brackets, is this what you mean -- see pic--? That is the type of bunk brackets that are on my trailer, which according to the label, was built in November of 2011. I'm sorry about your trailer problems, and thank you for posting about them. And I have no idea why this pic is appearing upside down, but hopefully you get the idea....
photo 2.JPG

Back