Trailer Security

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
For a long time, I have been amazed at how simple it could be for someone to steal a boat considering the design of today's trailers.

Most have a coupler double thru bolted onto the tongue of the trailer. All the locks in the world on the hitch or coupler lever, etc will not prevent someone from just unscrewing the two thru bolts and just installing another $15 coupler in 3 minutes and bam! your boat is gone.:eek:

So I wrote a letter to MasterLock:

"I own a 19' boat and although I have both a MasterLock coupler handle lock and a coupler hitch lock, it would be still simple to just unbolt the whole coupler and steel the boat if they had a spare coupler on hand.
Hasn't anyone ever considered this? Why not design keyed coupler thru bolts or lockable ones?
Just seems like this has been a major oversite for....well....forever!
PS non of the trailer hitch lockable thru bolts are the proper size to do the job."

Has anyone ever come across a product that could lock the coupler onto the tongue of the trailer

I'll let you know what the folks at MasterLock have to say.

Molar

Molar,

I have also worried about this issue. So far I have been lucky and have never had any thing stolen. I have been boating over twenty years.
I am big on securing my boat, and equipment as best as possible. Unfortunately if they come prepared they can steal almost anything. But I have taken a few steps to deter thiefs as best as possible.

• When possible launch in a private marina, rather than a public launch. Marina owners keep a sharp eye, it's well worth the extra money usally only around seven dollars where I fish on the Susquehanna Flats in Maryland.
  • Try not to go fishing alone, when you leave the boat to go get your tow vechile, they will grab any gear possible.
  • In answer to your guestion, just put a spot weld or two on the nuts to the coupler bolts. If you ever need to replace the coupler just grid off the spot welds and cut the bolts with a grinder, and tap the bolts out.
  • Spot welded the hitch ball nut, so they can't remove the trailer from the hitch.
  • Put a good lock on the receiver
  • Bought the best coupler lock possible, one that they can't get bolt cutters on or break with a mall hammer.
  • Wheel locks for the trailer tires, (auto store, threaded lugs & wheel locks).
  • My boat is garage kept, with an alarm system in the garage.
  • If you have to park outside purchase an additional lock that locks where the ball goe's into the coupler. Plus use the coupler lock on the lever. You can purchase these thru Cabelas.
  • Wheel lock, or cable lock to stop the wheels from rotating.
Hope this helps,
Susky Kid

I figured since MasterLock already makes ball reciever hitch locks, why can't they add 1/2" or so so we can replace one of the coupler thru bolts?

They may have an extra long version but I have been unable to find one. Spot welding has it's pluses and minuses...and is one solution but I like to leave the door open for roadside repairability so locks and keyed hardware seems most practicle. I have used liquid solder in the threads but it is just epoxy and may not slow someone down much.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Molar

Molar I had a lock that fit the lever for our trailers. It came with a matching one that secured my receiver. I just cant remember the manufacture. It worked well but I lost the key and had to work on it for a while with a hack saw to get it off. It was like the one master lock makes but had a barrel shaped lock that used one of those round keys and the shaft was about 3 inches or so long

I do not worrie much....that is why I have home owners insurance..it covers my boat on theft....

Trailers

You know, if someone REALLY wants to steal it, they'll find a way,but I wouldn't be overly concerned, like the post before me said, that's why you have insurance!

Back