Trailer Warp Repair?

etprime

Registered Member
State
Va
Greetings. Before becoming a full member, I wanted to ask: How serious is trailer warp/sag? I went and looked at a neglected Bay 190 and it I am awfully close to buying, but have a question about these boats warping/sagging on trailers. It appeared there was a little “bacon” on the hull. So naturally after some searching, it appears to be a thing. Question is- can it be fixed? If so, i may spring for this thing..

I highly recommend starting with using the search tool found in the Upper Right Corner of any page, to make simple keyword searches for subjects and topics of interest to you. There is a lot of information here and quite sure it has been discussed before here several times.

Best,
Dave

Can you better explain your warp, or the term "bacon?" The bunks do sag to fit the curvature of the hull. That's normal and not a problem. The stern of the boat should be fully on the bunks and supported, instead of hanging over the end of the bunks.

Thanks for the responses! People seem really nice here. Looks like what i need to search for is "hull deflection". So I noticed a few things about this boat, not cared for by this guy, he is taking a few thousand dollars off the price. Had money, just seemed like a Covid purchase now he is bored, not super knowledgeable about boats.

The Bow storage was Full of water because dude has the Bow leaning down and the stern up during storage, adding more weight and stress to the front of the hull. I wish i took better photos, didn't realize this was a thing until after I left - But it essentially looked like the Hull was being compressed and sagging over/around the bunks, like a big dent. In these photos, it does appear the last 6" of the stern is NOT supported either. I will continue searching on here, but what Im wondering is: Once off the trailer, will the hull be smooth again? or are those indentations permanent?

Need to see pictures of that lip on the stern. That one could cause some issues anytime it is running by trying to drive the bow down constantly and hard to get those (if major) back into factory spec again. Think of it acting like a large wide-trim tab that is always down and the negative effects it would cause.

In theory (for the rest of it) in time and support correctly on the proper trailer bunks or sitting in water, most of the rest of the running surfaces on the hull should (of course we are not there to see them) come back into place...

All I was able to get out of the guy right now is this, at least it’s on four instead of two. I will check this thing more thoroughly when I get to see it in person next week. image000000.jpeg

Get us a picture of the stern as it sits on the trailer, and we'll see how bad that problem might be. I think the wave in the front that you pointed out was probably caused by the weight of the water in the bow, but I think it will eventually smooth back out, and in the meantime shouldn't effect performance too much. Actually in that first picture, it almost looks like the boat is a little too far forward on the trailer. That "V" bunk in the front is an important support point, too, and at least on my 195, it's a little closer to the start of the bow curvature. Anyway, until we see the stern and any hook you might have there, I'd say you don't have too much of a problem yet.

EDIT: I just noticed the link you have with all the pictures from the seller. Hard to tell about the stern, but it really doesn't look bad in those pictures. If you can get a closeup from the side of the stern, it would be more telling. Looks like the stern is on the bunks, and support might be adequate, but it's a little too hard to tell. Some of these boats were molded with a slight hook at the rear, as illustrated in a picture that I posted in another thread having to do with draining water from between the inner and outer hulls. My 2008 195CC has had the stern properly supported all the time, and this is what it looks like. No performance problems at all. In this picture, the boat sits on a new trailer that wasn't quite built the way it should have been, but I've done a few mods to correct it.
20230412_153424.jpg

Last edited:
My first question would be what is your intended use for the boat? Fishing a lake that isn’t huge? Might be fine.
If you intend to be in out in the salt or traveling longer distances at speed; the good deal might not be worth it in the long run. Why spend your precious time and financial resources on something suspect? Save some more dough and get something without all the worries. If the guy didn’t take care of it you will soon negate the savings of the good deal on all kinds of other issues on top of the structural worries.
Could be a nice buy but I think of big picture first and how it matches with what kind of time, money and skill one might have coming into it, and what the end use is.
Break Out Another Thousand. Words to live by!

Check it out...how does it look to you all?

Attachments

• IMG_5317.png
    IMG_5317.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5314.png
    IMG_5314.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5315.png
    IMG_5315.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5316.png
    IMG_5316.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5318.png
    IMG_5318.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
To me it doesn't look that bad. I have the 170 cc though so I would defer to someone who has that model for a better handle on what normal looks like. Back to my other post about big picture, end use etc but doesn't look like I would run from it. Sea trial/test cruise of course

Well, I don't see anything at the stern that looks like a hook has formed from lack of support. But the odd thing is that it also doesn't look to me like those are the original bunks. They seem positioned differently on the trailer than original. The center bunks should extend 4" beyond the back of the rear crossmember that supports them and the outer bunks should extend back 8". It might be the perspective of the camera. but it doesn't appear that the bunks extend back nearly that far. And that stern does hang way out beyond any support by those bunks. Bunks might be long enough, but just bolted too far forward on the stands.

Alrighty well I think Sunday I will take it out for a trial and see what happens. If anyone has any other suggestions what to look for, im all ears. Thanks!!!

Are the 2 center bunks a 2x6 laying flat? It appears that the carpet has come off of the boards which in turn distorts the pictures. I replaced the two center 2x6’s and the carpet on my bunks for this same reason and mine looked just like these pictures. I don’t think anything looks to bad on the hull.

Back