transducer trouble

xcspsnowman

Registered Member
City
Center Valley
Im wondering if my trim tabs will give me problems with my transducer readings. Its fine when im not on plane, but when im on plane it gives all kinds of crazy readings from 20ft to 2000ft. I dont know if its a mounting problem or if the trim tabs are making turbulance thats giving bad readings. I tried running with the tabs up, but this did'nt seem to help. I've searched this site, but could'nt find anything than deals with trim tabs and transducers. I will post a pic of my transom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 368.jpg
    Picture 368.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 80
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity on your sonar? I have a couple of options on mine that let me choose whether I'm viewing at cruising speed or fishing.

From the looks of your mounting I would say that it's the piece of starboard that is causing the turbulence. I may be wrong but it looks as though the starboard is sticking down below the lower edge of the hull. If it is, then you've found the cause. You should also look forward between the two lifting strakes it see if there's a thru hull or other item that could be introducing air into the water. I doubt very seriously that the tabs are an issue. The transducer should be installed so that it is 1/8 to 3/8th below the level of the hull bottom and the rear of the transducer lower than the front. Hope this helps. Good luck.

the starboard is not below the hull. i tried mounting the transducer directly to the hull with no luck. i also looked under the hull for thru fittings. i will check my settings and see what happens. im also thinking of moving the location to the next strake down. thank you to everyone that sends me input!

If you had no luck mounting the transducer to the hull, how did you mount the starboard? I had no problem at all mounting my transducer to my hull.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt have trouble mounting the transducer to the hull. Im having trouble with the location. The starboard was added so i could change location without drilling more holes in my hull. I thought my trim tabs were causing a bad reading at high speed. ( any time im on plane ) my transducer reads fine when im not on plane. I mounting the transducer 1/8 to 1/4 below the hull & it is level. it looks like you have your transducer mouned the same as me, but you dont have trim tabs. I'm wondering if i have to move the transducer to the next strake down.

Back