Transom Saver

retiredaag

Registered Member
City
Jacksonville
Hello here to ask another question, do the members out there think I should use a transom saver on my 190 with 115 e-tec on it? thanks for looking.

Well...

A transom saver is supposed to transfer the weight of the motor from the transom to the trailer. The theory is that when you go over bumps and the motor moves a bit, the transom could crack. So, the device attaches to the trailer and grabs hold of the lower unit. Only problem I see is if the boat is not strapped down tightly, any movement of the boat (on the trailer) would transfer to the motor and to the trailer by the transom saver.

The other device Ospery and Friday talk about goes between the motor and the hydraulic tilt plunger (the left or right). This device keeps the motor weight off the hydraulic plunger so when the motor bumps around, the device takes up the shock (I believe is gives a bit, like a very hard rubber stopper). However, this device does not save the transom because it does not transfer the weight to the trailer.

Personally, I tilt up the motor, remove the tilt pin from the bottom hole and move to the top hole, and tilt back down until the motor just touches the pin. The skeg is higher than the trailer and I've never had a problem with it hitting the ground.

I use a transom saver while trailering. My trip is about 5 hours to the coast. Just seems to me that 500 lbs bouncing around at the farthest-back point of the trailer puts a lot of unnecessary stress on that roughly one square foot of mounting area.

And in spite of its use by a lot of folks, I'm not sure the MY-wedge is the answer. All the torsional forces are still being handled by the transom. It takes stress off the mount and tilt hinge, but doesn't take any stresses off the transom, IMHO. So I go for a transom saver that transfers most of those torsional forces to the trailer itself. And, as BarryB pointed out, I make darn sure the boat is strapped down well.

Back