trim tabs

F

fattom18

Have any others out there had problems with getting 195 CC to plane , with three adults boats handles fine but if a forth is added have to place one in bow to get it down. I have been considering trim tabs but kinda got negative feed back from company on it. Has anyone out there added trim tabs, if so what were your results all info greatley appreciated. Thanks

I have trim tabs on my 215 Chaos and absolutely love them. I don't know why anyone would be negative on them. :)

fattom18,
When I ordered my 195CC I was going to order trim tabs from the factory. I was told that they did not offer them because they thought the hull did not need them. My dealer said he would install them for me if I wanted them. I decided to try it for awhile without them. I have a 150HP 4 stroke Yamaha on mine and a T-top. I have no trouble getting on plane with 4 adults in the boat. The 150hp is so responsive that jumps up on plane quickly. What horsepower are you running and do you have the engine trimmed all the way down when you take off? I usually take off with the motor trimmed all the way down and use full trottle for a few seconds ,then back off slowly as you come up on plane. My 195CC runs level with any number of adults on the boat, so I'll probably wait to see if I need the trim tabs after a full season. Good luck with your trim problems. I have not seen a 195CC with a set of tabs yet but it seems that it may help your situation if you feel that you are propped correctly and taking advantage of the power you have by proper trim attitude when you put the pedal to the metal so to speak.
John D.

I have one season on my 195cc with a 135HP Honda outboard, no trim tabs. I can say that I am extremely satisfied with the performance of the boat. I also start with motor trimmed all the way down/in and then start trimming for optimum performance. I can easily start 2 adult skiers with 3 adults on board.
Roger

From what I am hearing I am a little afraid it maybe a power issue, I to start with motor trimmed down and petal to metal but am beginning to think 115 is not really quite enough for the boat. I like the boat except for this one thing.

I also was talked out of putting trim tabs on my 215 by the dealer but last year i went out and bought them any way what a difference i love them should have gotten them from the beginning.

From what I am hearing I am a little afraid it maybe a power issue, I to start with motor trimmed down and petal to metal but am beginning to think 115 is not really quite enough for the boat. I like the boat except for this one thing.

The only quick and cost effective fix for the lack of power in most cases, is a prop change and good fuel to keep the engine from knocking and pinging... When this occurs (pinging) the knock sensor backs off on the engine timing (and power) to stop such. This effect of the ECU backing off the engine timing (if severe), is really not that much different than just taking the cowl off the engine and pulling off a plug wire in my opinion ;)

And really nothing short of a Stainless Steel prop (expensive as they may be) that does not flex as much other materials, is going to help much either... This for all the other materials (though much cheaper I agree) allow for much more slippage. Now what kind of RPM range are you getting at WOT right now? It almost sounds as if your current prop has too much pitch for your hull and engine combo :)

I added trim tabs to my 195 and I have been very happy with the results. Fast to plane out and really helps out to level boat especially when you have an uneven load. I would suggest them but it is all a persoanl decision. See my pics of my install. I did it myself, took me longer than a pro but it can be done.

Notice the trim tab switch just behind the speed control. I also had to notch out the swim platform to allow the actuator to mount.

Last edited:
Back