VHF Radio: Mounted or a portable?

C

catfish

I just got a 170cc 2006 a few weeks ago. I don't have a marine radio yet and am considering the mounted one or a handheld. Is the portable handheld radios as good as the stationary ones as far as distance in receiving and transmitting and such. I will probably take my 170 offshore about 2-3 miles.
I could mount one in the boat however if portables are just as good I probably will not have to.

Thanks for any suggestions

There is absolutely no comparison between a handheld and a mounted radio unit. I suggest you go to this page in West Marine's on-line catalogue and read about VHF radios and VHF antennas. Once informed, you can make a much better choice of what you want out of your radio.

West Marine Advisor

Note, don't think that you can use your cell phone to call for help. The coast guard doesn't have cell phone response on its vessels and unless you have your charger with you, you're likely to have a dead battery at the time you need communication the most.

Short and simple, a handheld is good for possibly five miles as it's 5 watts. A full size set with a good antenna properly set up and connected is up to 25 miles @ 25 watts.

Short and simple, a handheld is good for possibly five miles as it's 5 watts. A full size set with a good antenna properly set up and connected is up to 25 miles @ 25 watts.

And the distance allways vary, depending on the condition of the sea's. Like all radio's the higher your antenna the better you will get out and heard.

VHF radio

Catfish,,,No comparision, a stationary mount is what you want and dont skimp on a cheap antenna,,as stated earlier, the folks at west marine will steer you in the right direction, when you need communication you will deffinately get out with a stationary unit you will NOT be disapionted...

CFirth owner 01 210 cc logic

You plan on going out 2 to 3 miles but the real question is how far are you going to have to transmit. How far away is the nearest coast gaurd station? What if they are down the how far do you have to transmit? I opted to go with a "cobra" mounted vhf with an 8 ft shakespear antenna.

Stationary VHF

Thanks for all the reply's! This site really helps. After everyones thoughts I definately decided a stationary mount. I checked out the west marine tech site and it is most helpfull for alot of boating needs. Thanks everyone, I'll get a good antenna also.
Catfish...170cc owner

pay the extra money and get a digital brand antenna. my friends can trans/receive with a 4 ft digital farther than those of us with w/8 ft shakespeares.

Hey Illogical can you give us information on the digital antennas. I don`t recall having seen them on the Westmarine catalog.Thanks, Cesar Catani

Cesar here is the one I bought for my boat (per Osprey Vic's article) to use on my Furuno VHF. I went with the 8' and it really gets out there.

DIG-529-VB DIGITAL 529-VB VHF ANTENNA 8FT
http://www.digitalantenna.com/vhf500.html

No offense but you guys need to compare the higher end Digital to the Shakespeare Galaxy antennas, that would be apples to apples.. :) I tried both, and for my needs I went with the 4ft Galaxy on my 190. I can transmit around (and I might say easily) 20 miles on the water on a normal day (barring any tidal waves...).

I am sure it is not all the antenna, I went with an Icom 422, much recomended (in white of course... http://www.icomamerica.com/products/marine/m422/ ).

Whatever you chose, please buy quality... afterall this could be you and your friends/family's lives at stake... never know. My signature says it all.

Cesar here is the one I bought for my boat (per Osprey Vic's article) to use on my Furuno VHF. I went with the 8' and it really gets out there.

DIG-529-VB DIGITAL 529-VB VHF ANTENNA 8FT
http://www.digitalantenna.com/vhf500.html

Back