VHF Radio Usage for Dummies

tfink

Participating Member
City
Clayton
State
Ohio
I'm pretty darn new to boating, took delivery of my first boat ever in Sept 2007. I've been out here on the network since before I got the boat.

I live in Ohio, so the closest big water is Lake Erie. My boat is equipped with a vhf radio connected to my Garmin 498 GPS. As the captain of my vessel I have a responsibility for the safety of me, my boat and all on board. All that being said, I've been reading up on usage and protocal for my radio and I got to tell you it's a bit overwhelming and confusing. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any good resources out there that I can read to help me understand the do's and don'ts. Online resources would be great, vhf for dummies would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

On lake michigan here in chicago there are 2 channels I scan. First is channel 68 for all the fishing reports and to talk to other fisherman in the area and channel 16 which is used by the coast guard to report any problems and you can also reach the coast guard on 16 if you have a problem.

hope this helps
HTR

Back